This IDC study is designed for business and technology executives who are responsible for the procurement and management of their organizations' software license assets. This study presents the results of IDC's 2015 Software License Optimization MaturityScape Benchmark Survey and should be viewed as a supplement to IDC MaturityScape: Software License Optimization (IDC #252389, November 2014). Together, the two studies provide a comprehensive overview of IDC's software license optimization maturity model:
- The study presents the results from quantitative research that will enable organizations to assess their software license optimization maturity level against industry benchmarks.
- In IDC MaturityScape: Software License Optimization (IDC #252389, November 2014), we described IDC's software license optimization maturity framework, which identifies the stages, dimensions, outcomes, and actions required for companies to deliver successful business outcomes.
This study enables organizations to answer the following questions:
- Where are we on a maturity scale for software license optimization competencies in terms of the business needs? Where are our peers?
- How can we progress along the maturity curve and increase the impacts of our software license optimization initiatives?
- What are the key characteristics of software license optimization top achievers?
"Achieving software license optimization requires a focus on process, technology, people, and vision of achieving global compliance and spend optimization," says Amy Konary, research vice president for IDC's Software Licensing and Provisioning research. "IDC believes that most organizations will find opportunities and business benefits to improve across some or many software license optimization dimensions."