Number of Tables: 5
Between August and October 2014, IDC Energy Insights carried out its annual utilities survey in the top 5 Western European countries: France, Germany, Italy, Spain, and the U.K. As a result of the collaboration with IDC Financial Insights, IDC Government Insights, IDC Health Insights, IDC Manufacturing Insights, IDC Retail Insights, and the IDC European Industry Solutions group, 1,588 organizations with more than 10 employees in the top 5 Western European countries were surveyed. In total, 117 interviews were conducted in the utilities industry.
The results of the survey will be analyzed and will be the basis for a series of demand-side reports to be published under the IDC Energy Insights' European Utilities IT and Operational Strategies and Worldwide Utilities Smart Customer Operations advisory services.
This report presents all the details regarding survey methodology and respondents. Questions asked in the survey, addressed in the demand-side series reports, include the following:
- The role of IT and the business agenda, IS budget directions, channel selection, and companies' satisfaction with primary IT suppliers
- Plans to invest in enterprise solutions, including: enterprise resource planning (ERP), unified communications (UC), business intelligence/analytics, document life-cycle management, and storage solutions
- Plans to invest in security solutions (network security, endpoint security, messaging security, web security, security and vulnerability management software, and identity and access management or IAM)
- Plans to invest in line-of-business (LOB) solutions, including: asset management; billing; customer care; project management; energy trading and risk management (ETRM); engineering and design, environment, health and safety (EH&S); grid maintenance; meter data management (MDM); network automation and control; plant maintenance; plant operations; workforce mobility; and supply chain management (SCM)
- Current adoption and future deployment plans for cloud-based solutions
- Technologies adoption and investment plans, including machine-to-machine (M2M) or Internet of Things (IoT) solutions, Big Data solutions, mobile devices and applications, and social media tools for business purposes
Between August and October 2014, IDC Energy Insights carried out its annual utilities survey in the top 5 Western European countries: France, Germany, Italy, Spain, and the U.K. In total, 117 interviews were conducted in the utilities industry.
"Annual end-user surveys across vertical markets, together with more ongoing informal interviews and ad hoc surveys carried out specifically for the energy sector, are critical inputs to understand and support the explanation of trends in IT requirements, priorities, and purchasing patterns of utilities," said Gaia Gallotti, research manager, IDC Energy Insights.
Analytic applications, Big Data analytics and discovery, Content management, Endpoint security, Enterprise resource management applications, Global IT and economic markets, Identity and access management, Internet of things, Messaging security, Network security, Security and vulnerability management software, Storage Services, Supply chain management applications, Unified communications and collaboration, Web security, Wireless and mobile infrastructure