The IDC European Vertical Markets Survey is a landmark study of IT solutions, investment priorities, and emerging technologies in over 80% of the Western European economy.
The survey covers areas such as:
- Key business priorities, the role of line-of-business (LOB) managers in IT decisions, IT budget direction, channel selection, and an assessment of the major technology suppliers supporting digital transformation
- Short-term investment plans for traditional technologies spanning hardware, software, IT and business services, and telecom services, as well as security priorities and a wide range of industry-specific solutions
- Current adoption and future deployment plans for the four pillars of IDC's 3rd Platform — cloud, mobile solutions, social, and Big Data
- A detailed analysis of implementation plans and use cases for the Internet of Things (IoT)
- An initial assessment of the major enablers of digital transformation, including familiarity, adoption, and future deployment plans for a range of Innovation Accelerators, including the IoT, cognitive systems, robotics, 3D printing, and natural interface
This study analyzes the survey results for the government industry about IoT trends to help IT suppliers' solution, marketing, and sales executives better align their offerings and go-to-market approach with the needs of IT and business executives in central and local governments.
Key findings include:
- Smart city programs put local governments ahead of central governments in terms of IoT investment and maturity.
- Local governments plan to use IoT for asset and infrastructure management, vehicle sharing, and public safety. Central governments will use it for public safety, smart buildings, and public transportation.
- U.K. government executives lead in terms of current IoT adoption, but Nordic government executives have the most aggressive investment plans for the next 12 months.
- Government executives who want to harness the value of IoT must align their strategies and architecture with priority business use cases and apply governance, ecosystem, and security best practices.