IDC's Operating Environments service helps product, marketing, and strategic planning professionals assess where the best opportunities exist for the most critical infrastructure software layers in today's market. This service analyzes the growth or decline of individual operating systems markets — both client and server and physical and virtual — and closely tracks transitions between platforms as user preferences shift. It also provides subscribers with direct access to IDC's top industry experts, who can supply competitive analysis and positioning advice, identify strategic partnering opportunities, assist with speaking to the investment community, provide press quotes, and more.
- The role of Linux in cloud computing
- Windows life cycles, including the decline of Windows XP and the uptake of Windows 8
- The role of operating environments in a cloud infrastructure
- The shifting of market positions for Red Hat's competition
- Windows Azure as a base layer of the Microsoft cloud
- The impact of virtualization on server operating environments
- The impact of virtualization on client operating environments
- Operating Environment Forecasts and Analyses
- Windows Client and Server Market Trends
- Impact of Virtualization and Cloud Computing on Operating Systems
- Linux Market Trends
- Unix Market Including Migration Trends
- Windows Azure
In addition to the insight provided in this service, IDC may conduct research on specific topics or emerging market segments via research offerings that require additional IDC funding and client investment.
- What operating environments are going to be successful in a virtualized and cloud-centric world?
- How are virtualized operating systems growing, and what products are most widely used?
- Red Hat dominates the Linux market: What comes next?
- How is nonpaid Linux used in cloud/service providers?
- How is client virtualization affecting the client operating system market?
- What happens to the Unix installed base as customers continue to decrease their use of Unix?
IDC analyzes the strategies, market positions, and future directions of major vendors in the operating environments market. A representative list of these vendors may include Apple, Canonical/Ubuntu, HP, IBM, Microsoft, Oracle, Red Hat, and SUSE Linux.
IDC's Custom Research and Go-to-Market Solutions harness the power of global research, thought leadership, and innovative best practices to drive your business forward. With proven approaches and research-backed methodologies, IDC helps you:
IDC Custom Solutions develops and delivers programs designed around your specific business goals using a foundation of research and insights across technologies, geographies, and industries as well as expertise across practice areas that span strategy, sales and marketing, and business measurement and management. Go here to view our overview video.
Whether you are a technology buyer or provider, IDC Insights' research translates today's global IT professional requirements and trends into business opportunities for your organization. With dedicated businesses targeting energy, financial services, government, healthcare, manufacturing, and retail, IDC provides unmatched integration of global technology and vertical industry expertise to deliver industry-specific customer intelligence that gives clients a powerful business advantage.
Connect and engage with a global network of business and IT professionals in the first-of-its-kind end-user community at http://idc-insights-community.com or learn more about our IT Executive research by visiting http://www.idc.com/itexecutive.