IDC's Storage Mechanisms: Solid State Storage Technologies service analyzes and forecasts the worldwide demand for solid state drives (SSDs). This service is designed to help clients understand the dynamics, trends, and opportunities for SSDs. SSD shipments are segmented and tracked by form factor, market application (i.e., client, enterprise, and commercial), technology type, and capacity range. In addition, worldwide industry revenue is tracked by the same metrics, which allows the calculation of average sales value (ASV) for various configurations. An annual long-term forecast and analysis, a midyear update, and a quarterly report (Excel spreadsheet and pivot table) are delivered to each SSD client delineating total market shipments broken out by segment and by form factor.
- SSDs designed as a substitute for disk drives with similar interfaces, form factors, and embedded advanced controller functionality
- SSD storage devices connected via USB, FireWire, or any other external interface (e.g., thumb drives, CF II, SD cards) not included
- Quarterly worldwide shipments of SSDs by segment, form factor, and technology
- Quarterly worldwide industry revenue by segment, form factor, and technology
- Annual forecast and analysis — split by market application, form factor, technology type, interface (SATA, SAS, PCIe [NVMe], etc.), and capacity range
- Market application (or segments) to include the client (PC and consumer electronics), enterprise (or datacenter), and commercial markets
- Worldwide SSD Forecast and Analysis
- Worldwide Quarterly SSD Analysis
- Worldwide SSD Market Share
- Worldwide SSD Forecast and Analysis — Midyear Update
- Worldwide SSD Pricing Dynamics
- Periodic Market Insights and Product Announcements
In addition to the insight provided in this service, IDC may conduct research on specific topics or emerging market segments via research offerings that require additional IDC funding and client investment.
- What are the long- and near-term demands for SSDs?
- What applications are likely to adopt SSDs?
- What is the timing of SSDs' entry into the market?
- How competitive are SSDs with HDD trends?
- What are the market inhibitors/accelerators of adoption?
- What are the technology trends for SSDs?
- What is the role of NAND flash in the datacenter for servers, storage systems (all-flash arrays [AFAs] and hybrid flash arrays [HFAs], and hyerscale cloud datacenters?
- Are there opportunities to capture additional value, or are there any unique performance requirements based on the applications that favor SSDs?
- What is the impact of next-generation nonvolatile memory technologies on the market, such as Intel's 3D XPoint, phase-change RAM (PRAM, PCRAM, PCM), magnetoresistive RAM (MRAM, T-MRAM, ST-MRAM, STT-MRAM, TAS-MRAM, VMRAM), and resistive RAM (RRAM or ReRAM)?
ADATA Technology Co., Ltd., BITMICRO NETWORKS INC, Beijing Memblaze Technology Co., Ltd., Crucial, Diablo Technologies Inc., Hitachi, Ltd., Hunan RUNCORE Innovation Technology CO, LTD., IBM, Intel Corporation, Kingston Technology Company, Inc., Lite-on Technology Corp, Memoright, Micron Technology, Inc., NetApp, Inc., Nimbus Data Systems, Inc., OCZ Technology Group, Inc., PNY Electronics, POWER QUOTIENT INTERNATONAL CO.,LTD., Pure Storage, Inc., RITEK CORPORATION, SK Holdings Co., Ltd. , SMART Modular Technologies, Inc, Samsung, SanDisk Corporation, Sanmina Corporation., Seagate Technology LLC, Super Talent Group Ltd, Toshiba Corporation, Western Digital Corporation