IDC's Datacenter Trends and Strategies research provides a holistic view of the issues that are shaping today's enterprise and service provider datacenter investments. Organizations need to more effectively support mobile, cloud, and business integrated analytics that are changing workloads in the corporate datacenter and driving greater use of service provider datacenters to extend services. While IT managers are sourcing and deploying IT infrastructure in new ways, datacenter managers are increasingly concerned with very real and sometimes limiting factors, such as floor space, power and cooling, datacenter life-cycle management, and staffing. IDC examines the shifting needs of the datacenter as well as sizing the number of datacenters and deployment of IT assets in enterprise, service provider, and hyperscale datacenters based on IDC's datacenter taxonomy.
- Worldwide and U.S. datacenter sizing and taxonomy
- Datacenter infrastructure and hardware
- Power and cooling initiatives for the datacenter
- Datacenter optimization and software-defined datacenters
- Business alignment: U.S. datacenters' assessment of their alignment with key business objectives
- Datacenter technology trends and innovation
- IT and business direction: Macrotrends to which datacenters are responding to ensure a viable, reactive, and agile IT organization
- Cloud computing: The impact on the physical datacenter
- Enterprise architecture: Datacenter infrastructure requirements for power and cooling, capacity planning, change control processes, system utilization, compute density, and alternate power
- IT staffing and datacenter real estate/location/regionalization
- Datacenter infrastructure management (DCIM)
- Datacenter Construction and Rebuild Trends
- Top 5 Strategic Datacenter Infrastructure Initiatives
- Impact of Integrated Systems and Hyperscale on Datacenters
- Modular Datacenters, Container Datacenters, Micro Datacenters
- Use of Service Provider Datacenter Assets
- Datacenter Infrastructure Management Adoption Trends
In addition to the insight provided in this service, IDC may conduct research on specific topics or emerging market segments via research offerings that require additional IDC funding and client investment.
- How many datacenters are there worldwide and in the United States?
- How are business and IT changes reshaping datacenter managers' investment and operations strategies?
- How are the acquisitions of infrastructure solutions changing?
- How do developments such as convergence and software-defined IT affect the datacenter?
- What role will new datacenter types such as containers, prefab, and modular play in the future?
This service reviews the strategies, market positioning, and future direction of several providers in the datacenter market, including:
ABB, Amazon Web Services, AMD, Arrow, AT&T, Avnet, CA Technologies, CenturyLink, Cisco, Comscope, CSC, Dell, Digital Realty Trust, Eaton, EMC-VMware, Emerson Network Power, Equinix, Fujitsu, Gateway, Hitachi, HP, IBM-Softlayer, Intel, Iron Mountain, Microsoft, NCR, NEC, NetApp, Nlyte, Oracle, Panduit, Rackspace, Red Hat, SAP, Schneider Electric, and Verizon.
IDC's Custom Research and Go-to-Market Solutions harness the power of global research, thought leadership, and innovative best practices to drive your business forward. With proven approaches and research-backed methodologies, IDC helps you:
IDC Custom Solutions develops and delivers programs designed around your specific business goals using a foundation of research and insights across technologies, geographies, and industries as well as expertise across practice areas that span strategy, sales and marketing, and business measurement and management. Go here to view our overview video.
Whether you are a technology buyer or provider, IDC Insights' research translates today's global IT professional requirements and trends into business opportunities for your organization. With dedicated businesses targeting energy, financial services, government, healthcare, manufacturing, and retail, IDC provides unmatched integration of global technology and vertical industry expertise to deliver industry-specific customer intelligence that gives clients a powerful business advantage.
Connect and engage with a global network of business and IT professionals in the first-of-its-kind end-user community at http://www.idc-community.com or learn more about our IT Executive research by visiting http://www.idc.com/itexecutive.