IDC's Datacenter Trends and Strategies research provides a holistic view of the issues that are shaping today's enterprise and service provider datacenter investments. Organizations need to more effectively support mobile, cloud, business integrated analytics, and the Internet of Things services that are changing workloads in corporate datacenters and driving greater use of service provider datacenters. While IT managers are sourcing and deploying IT infrastructure in new ways, datacenter managers are increasingly concerned with limiting factors, such as floor space, power and cooling, datacenter life-cycle management, and staffing. IDC examines the shifting needs of the datacenter as well as sizing the number of datacenters and deployment of IT assets in enterprise, service provider, and hyperscale datacenters based on IDC's datacenter taxonomy.
- Worldwide and U.S. datacenter build and remodel forecasts
- Datacenter infrastructure and hardware designs
- Power and cooling initiatives for the datacenter
- Alternative energy sources for the datacenter
- Datacenter optimization and software-defined datacenters
- Business alignment of U.S. datacenters with key business objectives
- Business macrotrends that are shaping datacenter design to ensure a viable and agile IT organization
- Datacenter technology adoption trends
- Cloud computing’s impact on the physical datacenter
- Datacenter infrastructure requirements for power and cooling, capacity planning, change control processes, system utilization, compute density, and alternate power
- IT staffing and datacenter real estate/location/regionalization
- Modular, containerized, and micro datacenters
- Datacenter infrastructure management (DCIM)
- Datacenter Construction and Rebuild Trends
- Worldwide Datacenter FutureScape
- Worldwide Datacenter MaturityScape
- Impact of Integrated Systems and Hyperscale on Datacenters
- Modular Datacenters, Container Datacenters, Micro Datacenters
- Use of Service Provider Datacenter Assets
- Smart-IT Enabled Datacenters
- Datacenter Infrastructure Management Adoption Trends
In addition to the insight provided in this service, IDC may conduct research on specific topics or emerging market segments via research offerings that require additional IDC funding and client investment.
- How many datacenters are there worldwide and in the United States?
- How are business and IT changes reshaping datacenter managers' investment and operations strategies?
- How are the acquisitions of infrastructure solutions changing?
- How do developments such as convergence and software-defined IT affect the datacenter?
- What role will new datacenter types such as containers, prefab, and modular play in supporting cloud, mobile, and Internet of Things services?
ABB Ltd, AT&T Inc., Advanced Micro Devices, Inc., Alibaba Group Holding Limited, Amazon.com, Inc., Arrow International Inc, Avnet, Inc., BT Group plc, CA Technologies, CSC HOLDINGS LIMITED, CenturyLink, Inc., Cisco Systems Internetworking Iletisim Hizmetleri Limited Sirketi, Cisco Systems, Inc., CommScope, Inc., Computer Sciences Corporation, CyrusOne, LLC., Dell Inc., Digital Realty, Inc., EMC Corporation, Eaton Corporation, Emerson Electric Co., Equinix (Duesseldorf) GmbH, Equinix Inc., Facebook, Inc., Fujitsu Limited, Future Facilities Ltd., GATEWAY, INC., Google Inc., Hewlett-Packard Company, Hitachi, Ltd., IBM, Intel Corporation, Iron Mountain Arsivleme Hizmetleri Anonim Sirketi, Iron Mountain Incorporated, Microsoft Corporation, NCR Corporation, NEC Corporation, NetApp, Inc., Nippon Telegraph and Telephone Corporation, Nlyte Software Limited., Oracle Corporation, Panduit Corp., RF Code Inc., Rackspace Hosting, Inc., Raritan Inc., Red Hat, Inc., SAP AG, Schneider Electric SA, Siemens AG, TELx, VMware, Inc., Verizon Communications Inc.