The Gaming service advises video game developers and publishers; hardware, component, and peripheral manufacturers; and related service providers about this industry from a global and a regional vantage point. Providing analysis of the most popular and lucrative technologies, platforms, digital services, genres, and gamer types is the touchstone of this IDC service.
- Online and offline video game console shipments, installed bases, and unique gamer totals
- Casual, enthusiast, and hardcore online PC gamer distinctions
- Digital game download revenue
- Gaming-oriented peripheral/accessory sales
- Gaming-optimized handheld hardware shipments, installed bases, and unique gamer totals
- Smartphone and tablet gamers and revenue
- Platform-based gamer demographics and genre preferences
- ARPU/ARPPU in North America, Western Europe, Asia/Pacific, and beyond, by platform
- Eight-generation game and entertainment console trends
- Video game development and distribution trends (e.g., popular engines and tools, packaged disc versus digital full game sales)
- The "gamification" of education and healthcare
- Cloud-streamed gaming and esports clipcasting
- Video Game Console Hardware and Packaged Game Disc Forecast
- Connected Game and Entertainment Console Forecast
- Online PC Gaming Forecast
- Consumer Predictions
- U.S. and Global Gamer Demographic and Genre Preference Survey
- Gaming-Optimized Handheld, Smartphone, and Tablet Gaming Forecast
- Market Impact Assessments: In-Game Ads, Freemium, Piracy, and Smart TVs
- Microconsole, Smart TV, and Steam Machine Gaming Propsects
- New Product Launch Insights and Key Business Model Shift Analysis
In addition to the insight provided in this service, IDC may conduct research on specific topics or emerging market segments via research offerings that require additional IDC funding and client investment.
- Which companies and business models will drive the most revenue through 2018?
- What are the second and third order effects of the rise of the freemium business model?
- Which platforms are growing the fastest from an installed base, gamer, and revenue perspective?
- What's the future of casual browser-based gaming across multiple screens?
- How do multiplayer/social features affect game profitability?
- Which console OEM is best positioned for growth through 2018, and what share of revenue will be digital by that point?
- What's the next motion-sensitive interface or UI breakthrough coming down the pipeline?
- Is Apple, Google, Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, or some other company best positioned in mobile/portable gaming?
- Which developers and publishers are well positioned for growth in 2015, and why?
IDC's Gaming service analyzes the product strategies, competitive positioning, financial position, and strategic direction of key players in the gaming space, including:
Activision Blizzard, Adobe, Amazon.com, AMD, App Annie, Apple, AT&T, Autodesk, Bungie, Capcom, CCP Games, Codemasters, Comcast, Dell, Dolby Laboratories, Electronic Arts, Epic Games, Facebook, Gameloft, GameStop, Glu Mobile, Google, GungHo Online, Harmonix, HP, IBM, Infinity Ward, Intel, Kabam, Konami, Logitech, Mad Catz, Microsoft, NCSOFT, Nexon, Nintendo, NVIDIA, OnLive, Plantronics, PlayFirst, PlaySpan, Qualcomm, Razer, RealNetworks, Sega, Skullcandy, Sony, Sprint, Square Enix, Take-Two Interactive, Telltale Games, Tencent, T-Mobile, Toshiba, Turtle Beach, Twitch, Ubisoft, Unity, Valve, Verizon, Vodafone, Walmart, Walt Disney Interactive, Wargaming, Warner Bros. Interactive, WildTangent, Yahoo Games, and Zynga.
IDC's Custom Research and Go-to-Market Solutions harness the power of global research, thought leadership, and innovative best practices to drive your business forward. With proven approaches and research-backed methodologies, IDC helps you:
IDC Custom Solutions develops and delivers programs designed around your specific business goals using a foundation of research and insights across technologies, geographies, and industries as well as expertise across practice areas that span strategy, sales and marketing, and business measurement and management. Go here to view our overview video.
Whether you are a technology buyer or provider, IDC Insights' research translates today's global IT professional requirements and trends into business opportunities for your organization. With dedicated businesses targeting energy, financial services, government, healthcare, manufacturing, and retail, IDC provides unmatched integration of global technology and vertical industry expertise to deliver industry-specific customer intelligence that gives clients a powerful business advantage.
Connect and engage with a global network of business and IT professionals in the first-of-its-kind end-user community at http://www.idc-community.com or learn more about our IT Executive research by visiting http://www.idc.com/itexecutive.