The Gaming service advises video game developers and publishers, hardware manufacturers, and related service providers about this rapidly evolving market from a global and a region-specific vantage point. Providing comprehensive analysis of the technologies, services, and changing gamer preferences that are shaping the video game industry's future is the touchstone of this IDC service.
- Online and offline video game console shipments, installed bases, and gamer totals
- Casual, enthusiast, and hardcore online PC gaming
- Digital game download revenue
- Gaming-oriented peripheral and accessory sales
- Gaming-optimized handheld hardware shipments, installed bases, and gamer totals
- Smartphone and tablet gamers and revenue
- Platform-based gamer demographics and genre preferences
- North American; Western Europe; Japan, China, Asia/Pacific; and the rest of the world gamer ARPU/ARPPU
- Eight-generation game and entertainment console platform distinctions
- Video game development framework and distribution trends (i.e., engines, cloud-based streaming and DRM)
- The "gamification" of markets like education and healthcare
- Business model threat analysis
- Video Game Console Hardware and Packaged Game Disc Forecast
- Connected Game and Entertainment Console Forecast
- Online PC Gaming Forecast
- Consumer Predictions
- U.S. and Global Gamer Demographic and Preference Surveys
- Gaming-optimized Handheld, Smartphone, and Tablet Gaming Forecast
- Market Impact Assessments: In-game Ads, Freemium, Piracy and Smart TVs
- New Product Launch and Key Industry Developments
In addition to the insight provided in this service, IDC may conduct research on specific topics or emerging market segments via research offerings that require additional IDC funding and client investment.
- Which companies and business models will drive the most revenue through 2017?
- What impacts are falling development studio barriers to entry and the rise of the freemium business model having?
- Which platforms are growing the fastest from an installed base, gamer, and paying gamer perspective?
- What's the future of casual PC/Mac browser gaming?
- How are connected consoles faring against Web-connected smart TVs, set-top boxes, and microconsoles?
- Which console OEM is best positioned for growth through 2017, and how will it manage the transition toward digital distribution?
- Are advanced motion-sensing interfaces or stereoscopic 3D technologies impacting the industry?
- Is Apple, Google, Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, or some other company best positioned in mobile and portable gaming?
- Which genres and development studios will generate the most money in 2014?
IDC's Gaming service analyzes the product strategies, competitive positioning, financial viability, and strategic direction of key players in the gaming market, including:
Activision Blizzard, Adobe, Amazon.com, AMD, Apple, AT&T, Autodesk, BioWare, Bungie, Capcom, CDC Games, Codemasters, Comcast, Dell, Dolby Laboratories, Electronic Arts, Epic Games, Facebook, Gameloft, GameStop, Glu Mobile, Google, Harmonix, HP, IBM, Infinity Ward, Intel, Konami, Logitech, Mad Catz, Microsoft, NCsoft, Netflix, Nexon, Nintendo, Nokia, NVIDIA, OnLive, Plantronics, PlayFirst, PlaySpan, Qualcomm, Razer, RealNetworks, Rockstar Games, Sega, Sony, Sprint, Square Enix, Take-Two Interactive, T-Mobile, Toshiba, Turtle Beach, Unity, Ubisoft, Valve, Verizon, Vivendi Universal, Vodafone, Walmart, Walt Disney, Warner Bros., WildTangent, Yahoo! Games, Zipper Interactive, and Zynga.
IDC's Custom Research and Go-to-Market Solutions harness the power of global research, thought leadership, and innovative best practices to drive your business forward. With proven approaches and research-backed methodologies, IDC helps you:
IDC Custom Solutions develops and delivers programs designed around your specific business goals using a foundation of research and insights across technologies, geographies, and industries as well as expertise across practice areas that span strategy, sales and marketing, and business measurement and management. Go here to view our overview video.
Whether you are a technology buyer or provider, IDC Insights' research translates today's global IT professional requirements and trends into business opportunities for your organization. With dedicated businesses targeting energy, financial services, government, healthcare, manufacturing, and retail, IDC provides unmatched integration of global technology and vertical industry expertise to deliver industry-specific customer intelligence that gives clients a powerful business advantage.
Connect and engage with a global network of business and IT professionals in the first-of-its-kind end-user community at http://idc-insights-community.com or learn more about our IT Executive research by visiting http://www.idc.com/itexecutive.