European adoption of software as a service (SaaS), platform as a service (PaaS), and infrastructure as a service (IaaS) is growing strongly. In an increasing number of categories, cloud services have become mainstream, while in others they are gaining market share against traditional on-premise alternatives. The diversity in business, culture, and languages in Europe means that U.S. vendors will not succeed if they simply copy their U.S. strategies in their European operations. At the same time, European vendors are building out their own cloud services and capturing market share. IDC's European Public Cloud: SaaS, PaaS and IaaS research provides an insightful and actionable understanding of the public cloud services market in Europe. The service helps product, marketing, and strategic planning executives to develop successful business strategies and gain competitive insight. The service examines the market in three categories — SaaS, PaaS, and IaaS — as well as their subcategories. It will also inform vendors of "conventional" IT products and services on their strategies in the public cloud.
- Public SaaS
- Public PaaS
- Public IaaS
- European user attitudes to public cloud services
- Vendor strategies in public cloud services
- User adoption patterns across different service types
- Governance models and challenges from cloud services
- Western European Cloud Services Forecast, 2017–2021, including SaaS, PaaS, and IaaS
- End-User Survey Results — User Buying Expectations
- The Competitive Landscape in the European Cloud Services Market
- European Public Cloud Market Shares, 2016
In addition to the insight provided in this service, IDC may conduct research on specific topics or emerging market segments via research offerings that require additional IDC funding and client investment.
- What are the main user demands for public cloud services in Europe, and what is driving these demands?
- Which market segments offer the best growth opportunities for vendors, and what do they need to do to succeed?
- What is the competitive positioning of the major players?
- What impact will the evolution of PaaS and IaaS have on the overall cloud services marketplace in Europe?
- What do end-user organizations need to keep in mind when adopting cloud services?
- How do cloud services affect IT governance?
Amazon.com, Inc., Box, Inc., Cisco Systems, Inc., Computer Sciences Corporation, Dropbox Inc., Google Inc., Hewlett Packard Enterprise, IBM, Microsoft Corporation, OpenText Corporation, Oracle Corporation, Orange S.A., Rackspace Hosting, Inc., SAP AG, SAS Institute Inc., Salesforce.com, Inc., ServiceNow, Inc., Symantec Corporation, UNIT4 N.V., Workday, Inc.
Associate Vice President
Research Analyst, European Services
Research Manager, European Cloud Platform Services