The emergence of cloud-based application and computing services continues to have a profound impact on the storage industry. Companies building cloud environments are emerging as major consumers of storage systems, and their demands are affecting storage hardware and software development efforts. Storage suppliers are left with a choice: enable others to build private and/or public clouds using their technology and/or stand up their own clouds. IDC's Storage Solutions: Storage and the Cloud service will provide forecasts, competitive assessments, and user insights on the development of storage and the cloud — offering insight into both models.
- Basic cloud-based storage services (e.g., Amazon and Rackspace)
- Advanced cloud-based storage services (e.g., backup, archiving, and recovery as a service)
- Spending on storage hardware and software by builders of private and public clouds
- Impact on commercial storage offerings from ODM direct storage
- Storage for the Cloud: Storage Infrastructure Consumption for Private and Public Clouds
- Storage in the Cloud: Adoption of Basic Public Cloud Storage Services
- Storage and the Cloud: Taxonomy for Cloud-Based Storage Services
- User Barriers and Requirements for Adopting Cloud-Based Storage
- Primary Research into the Needs and Challenges Faced by Cloud Service Providers
- Role of Cloud Gateways in Cloud Storage Adoption
In addition to the insight provided in this service, IDC may conduct research on specific topics or emerging market segments via research offerings that require additional IDC funding and client investment.
- What is the spending by organizations/individuals on cloud-based storage?
- What are the main factors driving organizations' interest in cloud-based storage service offerings?
- What is the spending on storage by cloud-based application and IT service providers?
- What capabilities and functional requirements are shaping cloud service providers' investments in storage hardware, software, and professional services?
- How will the ecosystem and channel for cloud-based storage services evolve?
- What impact will ODM direct have on commercial storage offerings?
AT&T Inc., Accenture plc, Acronis International GmbH, Amazon.com, Inc., Asigra Inc., BARRACUDA NETWORKS, INC, BT Group plc, Barracuda Networks, Inc., CARBONITE, INC., CSC HOLDINGS LIMITED, CenturyLink, Inc., Dell Inc., Dropbox Inc., EMC Corporation, EVault, Inc., Fujitsu Limited, Geminare Incorporated, Global Relay Communications Inc., Google Inc., Hewlett-Packard Company, Hitachi, Ltd., IBM, Microsoft Corporation, Mimecast Services Ltd., Mozy, NaviSite Europe Limited, NetApp, Inc., Oracle Corporation, Pensionsforsakringsaktiebolaget Veritas, Rackspace Hosting, Inc., Riverbed Technology, Inc., SugarSync, Inc., Symantec Corporation, T-Systems International GmbH, Telstra Corporation Limited, Time Warner Inc., Veritas AG, Verizon Communications Inc.
Research Director, IaaS Cloud Storage
Program Director, Storage and Data Management Services