The emergence of cloud-based application and computing services continues to have a profound impact on the storage industry. Companies building cloud environments are emerging as major consumers of storage systems, and their demands are affecting storage hardware and software development efforts. Storage suppliers are left with a choice: enable others to build private and/or public clouds using their technology and/or stand up their own clouds. IDC's Storage Solutions: Storage and the Cloud service will provide forecasts, competitive assessments, and user insights on the development of storage and the cloud — offering insight into both models.
- Public cloud IaaS storage services (e.g., Amazon, Google, IBM,Rackspace, Virtustream, and others)
- Data and workload migration to cloud-based infrastructure and cloud migration services
- Spending on storage hardware and software by builders of private and public clouds
- Impact on commercial storage offerings from ODM direct storage and public cloud IaaS offerings
- Storage for the Cloud: Storage Infrastructure Consumption for Private and Public Clouds
- Storage in the Cloud: Adoption and Usage of Public Cloud IaaS Storage Services
- Storage and the Cloud: Taxonomy for Cloud-Based Storage Services
- User Barriers and Requirements for Adopting Cloud-Based Storage
- Primary Research into the Needs and Challenges Faced by Cloud Service Providers
- Data and Workloads Being Moved into Cloud-Based Infrastructures by Users
- Economics of IaaS Cloud Storage
In addition to the insight provided in this service, IDC may conduct research on specific topics or emerging market segments via research offerings that require additional IDC funding and client investment.
- What is the spending by organizations/individuals on cloud-based storage?
- What are the main factors driving organizations' interest in cloud-based storage service offerings?
- What is the spending on storage by cloud-based application and IT service providers?
- What capabilities and functional requirements are shaping cloud service providers' investments in storage hardware, software, and professional services?
- How will the ecosystem and channel for cloud-based storage services evolve?
- How are enterprises adopting cloud-based storage infrastructure?
AT&T Inc., Accenture plc, Acronis International GmbH, Amazon.com, Inc., Asigra Inc., Axcient, Inc., BT Group plc, Barracuda Networks, Inc., Box, Inc., CARBONITE, INC., CenturyLink, Inc., Computer Sciences Corporation, Dell Inc., Deutsche Telekom AG, Dropbox Inc., EMC Corporation, Fujitsu Limited, Geminare Incorporated, Global Relay Communications Inc., Google Inc., Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Hitachi, Ltd., IBM, Microsoft Corporation, Mimecast Services Ltd., Mozy, NetApp, Inc., Oracle Corporation, Proofpoint, Inc., Rackspace Hosting, Inc., Riverbed Technology, Inc., Seagate Technology LLC, SugarSync, Inc., Symantec Corporation, Telstra Corporation Limited, Time Warner Inc., Veritas AG, Verizon Communications, Inc.
Research Director, IaaS Cloud Storage