IDC's Enabling Technologies: PCs and Servers service provides strategic and tactical analysis for chip suppliers and OEMs in the general-purpose computing system markets. The PC client and server-class microprocessor market continues to face fundamental change. System-level competition among various system types such as among PCs, tablets, and smartphones on the client side and among servers, storage systems, and networking systems on the server compute side is forcing competition across the value chains for each of these system types. Vendors such as Intel and AMD are integrating components around their x86 microprocessors, segmenting their product lines and targeting new systems on a chip (SoCs) toward tablets and smartphones where ARM-based SoCs now dominate. In turn, vendors such as AppliedMicro, Cavium, and Qualcomm are positioning their SoCs in the computing markets, including client and enterprise systems.
- Worldwide client PC and server semiconductor forecast
- PC and server microprocessor vendor market share by form factor, processor brand, and graphics type
- DRAM supply, demand, megabyte per system, and pricing trends
- PC, workstation, and server discrete graphics processing unit (GPU) market share by form factor
- Discrete and integrated graphics attach rates, other technology attach rates
- PC core logic chipset vendor market share by all form factors, CPU vendor supported, and graphics type
- NAND flash memory supply, demand, megabyte per system, and pricing trends
- Worldwide Quarterly PC and Server Microprocessor Vendor Shares
- Worldwide PC and Server Microprocessor Forecast
- Worldwide Quarterly PC and Workstation Discrete Graphics Processing Unit Vendor Shares
- Worldwide DRAM Demand and Supply Update
- Worldwide NAND Flash Demand and Supply Update
In addition to the insight provided in this service, IDC may conduct research on specific topics or emerging market segments via research offerings that require additional IDC funding and client investment.
- What are the volume and pricing of processors for mobile PCs, desktop PCs, and PC servers? Where are PC processors going when they're not going into PCs?
- How are ARM-based microprocessors from AppliedMicro, Cavium, and Samsung fairing in the PC and server spaces, and what market conditions are necessary for ARM vendors to succeed?
- How are Google, Facebook, Amazon, and other cloud service providers influencing processor vendors?
- What will be the impact of NAND flash memory on the PC, including solid state disk (SSD) drives and hybrid hard disk drives (H-HDDs)?
Advanced Micro Devices, Inc., Applied Micro Circuits Corporation, Broadcom Corporation, Cavium, Inc., Freescale Semiconductor, Inc., HiSilicon Technologies Co., Ltd., IBM, Intel Corporation, Marvell Technology Group Ltd., Micron Technology, Inc., NVIDIA Corporation, Nanya Technology Corporation, QUALCOMM Incorporated, Rambus Inc., SK Holdings, Samsung, SanDisk Corporation, Texas Instruments Incorporated, Toshiba Corporation, VIA Technologies, Inc.