The concept of Smart Cities is a construct in which to frame local government transformation. Cities need to transform in order to develop sustainably, meet citizens' rising expectations, and differentiate in order to attract investment and productive residents. This is a complex undertaking especially when coupled with constrained financial resources, fast-growing populations, and aging infrastructures. As a result, Smart City goals are driving investment in many emerging technologies and in Smart City solutions. Smart City solutions leverage ICT not only to deliver higher-quality citizen services more efficiently but also to effect behavior change in government workers, city businesses, and citizens so cities can develop more sustainably. IDC Government Insights' Smart Cities Strategies research analyzes the role of ICT in improving citizen services in public safety, transportation, and public works; in fostering innovation and civic engagement; and in building successful models for the evolution of a Smart City. IDC Government Insights' global team of analysts provides best practice case studies and objective third-party assessments of Smart City solution providers.
The Smart Cities Strategies research advisory service analyzes how cities and local governments and their ICT suppliers are leveraging technology to improve city operations and better serve citizens. The continuing evolution of cities along IDC's Smart City Maturity Model, the creation of new partnerships and funding models, and the use of innovative technologies to create Smart City ecosystems are covered in detail.
Throughout the year, this service will address the following topics:
- Benchmarking cities against the Smart City Maturity Model
- Funding sources and business models
- The use of emerging technologies — cloud, big data and analytics, M2M, the Internet of Things, mobile apps, and social media — in cities
- Public safety initiatives including big data and analytics in policing and the use of social media in emergency and disaster management
- Public works and transportation solutions including traveler information systems and innovations in licensing and permitting
- Citizen engagement including 311 systems, open data strategies, mobile app development, and crowdsourcing
- Vendor capabilities and offerings in the Smart City landscape
Our research addresses the following issues that are critical to your success:
- Which cities are evolving and implementing Smart City strategies, and what are the critical success factors?
- What policies are driving collaborative integrated investments, and how will they influence Smart City development in the years ahead? How is an effective Smart City process formed, and what group(s) should participate in and/or oversee these initiatives?
- Which innovative technology initiatives are causing significant shifts in the ways local and regional governments conduct business, and how will these technologies change their strategic plans? How are risk, innovation, and transformation managed?
- Who are the ICT solution providers that are facilitating Smart City evolution?
- How are Smart Cities sustained? How do cities maintain citizen engagement in the projects and maintain sustainable behaviors?
Government ICT and business planners, technology buyers, and program leaders who are seeking to understand how to strategically invest in and deliver technologies and solutions to create Smart City ecosystems.
- Improve strategic IT decisions by focusing on the total value of IT solutions and desired business outcomes
- Leverage partnerships with public and private shared service providers through profiling vendor best practices based on government-centric criteria
- Deploy solutions with a higher confidence of success in meeting critical initiatives through fact-based research and independent ranking of IT solution providers
- Create partnering strategies by better understanding government needs and priorities used by regional and local governments
- Fine-tune strategic plans by understanding technology innovations and outcomes used by government
- Learn how solution providers score on criteria relating to ROI, risk, transformation, innovation, and execution of technology services implementations in ProveIT case studies
IDC Government Insights values building client relationships and strives to foster a partnership with each client through continuous analyst interaction; timely delivery of current, concise, and relevant research; as well as custom research when needed. Each advisory service delivers strategic research covering business and technology issues. A summary of the basic service deliverables available to subscribers includes the following:
- Analyst inquiry time specific to the advisory service area (some restrictions apply)
- 24 x 7 research access via www.idc-gi.com
- Discounted admission to specific IDC Government Insights or IDC conferences
- Complimentary forum invitations (Web conferences, industry briefings)
Our IDC Insights Community is designed to enable technology buyers to engage with our industry analysts, share knowledge and best practices, and connect with colleagues. To participate in our community, members create a profile to:
- Participate in our discussions in our blogs, forums, and polls
- Learn about and share best practices, tips, tricks, and tools related to business/technology alignment
- Network with colleagues and join groups within each industry
- Provide feedback to IDC's industry analysts and hear what we're up to
Visit us at: http://idc-insights-community.com and join our conversations.
Related offerings to our industry-specific research practices include IT Spending Guides — segmented regional and country-level analysis by solution area; Go-to-Market Services (GMS) — a modular set of deliverables to assist clients in extending their market reach, validating their market strategy, and producing more responsive customer-centric marketing campaigns; and IDC Advisory Tools — a growing set of solutions designed to ensure clients that technology purchasing and deployment decisions are optimized. In addition, IDC Government Insights experts are available for individualized consulting engagements to address specific challenges or to customize the results of our syndicated research offerings.