The worldwide Internet of Things Ecosystem and Trends market continues to see broad interest and momentum, with an expected market size of $1.5 trillion in 2020. Despite the growth, the Internet of Things (IoT) ecosystem is a complex market, with multiple layers and hundreds of players, including device vendors, communications service providers, IoT platform players, software vendors, and IT services providers. The IoT is also witnessing the collision of Operations Technology and Information Technology groups within enterprises. The Internet of Things Ecosystem and Trends service analyzes the growth of this market from the autonomously connected endpoints, and its spend potential, as well as assessing the devices, platforms, applications and services that will enable a world of connected "things."
- The worldwide and regional size of and forecast for the IoT market, including installed units and spend
- Worldwide IoT technology stack revenue forecast
- Taxonomy of the IoT ecosystem: How is the market organized, and what are the key segments and technologies?
- IoT purpose-built platforms
- Role of connectivity in the IoT market
- Vendor opportunities within each layer of the technology stack
- The coexistence of IT and OT in the Internet of Things
- Decision maker input into buying behaviors, preferences, and technology requirements
- Taxonomy of the IoT Ecosystem
- Annual Global Internet of Things Decision Maker Survey
- Market Predictions
- IoT Platform Taxonomy and MarketScape
- IoT TechScape and PeerScape
- Forecasts for the IoT Market – Installed Units and Spend
- Regional Analysis
- Profiles of Vendors Leading IoT Evolution
In addition to the insight provided in this service, IDC may conduct research on specific topics or emerging market segments via research offerings that require additional IDC funding and client investment.
- What are the size of and forecast for the worldwide and regional markets for the Internet of Things?
- What is the role of IoT purpose-built platform, and how can this provide the foundation for growth in the IoT? What vendors are leading this segment?
- When will the IoT developer community reach a critical mass?
- What are the key operational challenges facing vendors and service providers in deploying and monitoring connected "things"?
- How will the upper layers of the IoT solution stack drive revenue growth in the IoT market?
- What are IoT solution best practices?
AT&T Inc., Alcatel-Lucent, Arrow Electronics, Inc., CA Technologies, Inc., China Mobile Limited, Cisco Systems, Inc., Deutsche Telekom AG, EMC Corporation, Fujitsu Limited, Google Inc., Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Hitachi, Ltd., Honeywell International Inc., IBM, Intel Corporation, Johnson Controls, Inc., LM Ericsson Telephone Company, Microsoft Corporation, NTT DoCoMo, Inc., Oracle Corporation, PTC, Inc., QUALCOMM Incorporated, Red Hat, Inc., SAP AG, Salesforce.com, Inc., Samsung, Schneider Electric SA, Sierra Wireless, Inc., Sprint Corporation, Symantec Corporation, Telefonica S.A., Toshiba Corporation, Verizon Communications, Inc., Vodafone Group Plc
Senior Research Analyst