IDC's Carrier IP Network Infrastructure and Virtualization service analyzes the emerging opportunities and challenges for network infrastructure suppliers selling IP and Carrier Ethernet wired network solutions to communications service providers. This service focuses on the deployment of key IP, Ethernet, and optical network infrastructure products that support enhanced IP/MPLS services, Carrier Ethernet, mobile backhaul, IP VPNs, datacenter interconnect, and optical and cloud connectivity. It also analyzes emerging trends in network virtualization, including analyses of software-defined networks (SDNs), network functions virtualization (NFV) solutions, software-defined WAN (SD-WAN) vendor strategies, and new SDN- and NFV-related industry ecosystems and associations. This service covers routing and switching as well as the packet optical networking market segments in significant detail. Research includes quantitative and qualitative market assessments as well as forecasts of market trends, technology requirements, and deployment strategies.
- Carrier Ethernet (routing and switching) forecast and opportunities
- Service provider routers (core and edge)
- Vendor SDN and NFV strategies and solutions
- Next-generation network (NGN) wireline and wireless infrastructure
- Service provider routers and the migration of Ethernet into the core networks
- Wireless backhaul applications and trends
- Technology convergence of the wireline and wireless infrastructure
- Datacenter interconnect next-generation network infrastructure
- Network migration strategies of network operators, including cloud and SD-WAN solutions
- Issues in optical network deployments
- Worldwide Carrier Ethernet Forecast and Market Share
- Worldwide Service Provider Routing Forecast and Analysis
- SDN and NFV Telecom Wireline Taxonomy
- SDN and NFV Use Cases
- Impact of SDN and NFV Wireline Forecast
- Technology Evolution Insights
- Telecom Equipment Market Share and Forecasts
- Consulting and White Papers
In addition to the insight provided in this service, IDC may conduct research on specific topics or emerging market segments via research offerings that require additional IDC funding and client investment.
- How will the service provider router and switch market evolve to meet the growing demand for video distribution, broadband, and business services?
- What type of SDN and NFV use cases will be adopted by CSPs, and how will this change the vendor landscape in the coming years?
- How are equipment vendors positioning themselves to gain share as service provider capex spending stalls?
- How will migration to open software platforms and network virtualization of carrier infrastructure affect incumbent vendors?
- How and when will leading service providers converge their networks?
- What is the opportunity for wireless backhaul, and what new backhaul solutions are evolving?
- Which networking vendors are best positioned to increase market share among service providers for 2015-2016?
ADTRAN, Inc., Accenture plc, Alcatel-Lucent, Brocade Communications Systems, CALIX, INC., Ciena Corporation, Cisco Systems, Inc., Coriant GmbH, EDEN ROCK COMMUNICATIONS, LLC, Ekinops, Extreme Networks, Inc., F5 Networks, Inc., Fujitsu Limited, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Hitachi, Ltd., Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd., IBM, Infinera Corporation, Juniper Networks, Inc., LM Ericsson Telephone Company, Microsoft Corporation, Nokia Corporation, Oracle Corporation, VMware, Inc., ZTE Corporation