IDC's Small and Medium Business Markets: Cloud Adoption for Applications, Analytics and Digital Transformation is one of four research modules in IDC's SMB program. It details the SMB customer journey from a traditional on-premise IT infrastructure, to one that starts to utilize SaaS and cloud-based infrastructure at the LOB level, to an end state that views cloud strategically and adopts advanced capabilities like app development in a fully hosted or hybrid cloud model to drive business process transformation across the entire organization. An effective complement to the mobility strategies and application development module, this module examines customer maturity through the lens of how cloud-based storage, server, and software capabilities digitally transform SMB operations. Particular emphasis will be placed on how hyperscale cloud provider IaaS solutions (AWS, IBM, and Microsoft Azure), online backup, and SaaS deployments are impacting SMB IT infrastructures and in turn business processes. Attention will be paid to apps, security (cloud, app, and network), and analytics (business intelligence tools and cognitive apps). Analytics will receive specific treatment. Research will center on how major IT vendors (SAP, Microsoft, Salesforce, and IBM) are leveraging their analytics platforms to drive business value for small customers across various applications, resulting in digital transformation. Other topics include in-depth analysis of changing application usage across endpoints; evolving vendor, partner, and go-to-market strategies by SMB size (micro, SB, and MB); and buyer case studies that highlight how hosted IT can create real business value for SMB customers.
- SaaS adoption by type and company size
- Business process transformation via cloud infrastructure and app implementation, resulting in digital transformation
- On-premise SMB software implementation migration to hosted environments
- The role of IaaS in SaaS and application development and deployment for midmarket customers
- How analytics tools and cognitive capabilities are driving digital transformation
- SMB Cloud Versus On-Premise Software Deployment Trends
- SMB Public Cloud Spending Forecast by SaaS, IaaS, and PaaS
- SMB Enterprise File Sync and Share and Collaboration Trends
- IDC PeerScape: Best Practices for Implementing ERP in High Growth Businesses
- IDC PlanScape: Midmarket Business Intelligence Software Stakeholders and Requirements
In addition to the insight provided in this service, IDC may conduct research on specific topics or emerging market segments via research offerings that require additional IDC funding and client investment.
- How quickly are SMB user segments adopting core business cloud applications like CRM and ERP? How does this drive digital transformation and create long-term organizational value?
- How is the adoption of Microsoft Office 365 reshaping the SMB IT landscape?
- Do SMBs gravitate toward particular cloud storage and file sharing services?
- What key cloud-related go-to-market messaging resonates with SMBs?
- How can vendors and partners drive deeper adoption of SaaS that results in digital transformation?
Acumatica, Inc., Amazon.com, Inc., Barracuda Networks, Inc., Box, Inc., CARBONITE, INC., CenturyLink, Inc., Citrix Systems, Inc., Computer Sciences Corporation, Concur Technologies, Inc., Constant Contact, Inc., Dropbox Inc., GODADDY INC., Google Inc., IBM, Intacct Corporation, Intel Corporation, Intuit Inc., Kaspersky Lab ZAO, Microsoft Corporation, NetSuite Inc., Oracle Corporation, SAP AG, SAS Institute Inc., Salesforce.com, Inc., Seagate Technology LLC, The Sage Group plc, Trend Micro Incorporated, VMware, Inc., Veeam Ltd., Veeam Software AG, Verio Inc., Verisign, Inc., Xero Limited