IDC's Mobile Consumer Application Platforms service analyzes the role of mobile applications (apps) in the distribution of content and services. The Service examines the app and service distribution economy across connected mobile devices, with forward-looking research and projections on sources of value, engagement, and transaction volumes. The Service maintains IDC's global app tracking and forecasting data, augmenting this with in depth research into how apps and services will be architected as a function of technological advances, disruptive innovation, and control exercised at the OS, network, and API layers. Consequently the Service closely follows the strategies, motivations, assets, and opportunities of the major application platform providers. Mobile Consumer Application Platforms also covers developer trends and practices. Mobile app developers are central to the strategies of every player in the mobile ecosystem as they create new ways to interact with retailers, content, the mobile Internet, and other users. This service conducts semiannual application developer sentiment surveys, measuring app developer perceptions and priorities around competing mobile OSs, HTML5, smartphones and media tablets, APIs, social networking, and next-gen mobile app opportunities like augmented reality, interactive retail, and the connected home.
- Consumer mobile application developer attitudes toward the major mobile ecosystems including Apple's iOS, Google's Android, HTML5, BlackBerry OS, Microsoft's Windows Phone, and Amazon's Kindle platform
- Competitive dynamics and performance of the major consumer mobile app platforms and ecosystems
- Iinnovative new service architectures, distribution, measurement, and monetization, and control thereof
- Performance metrics, evolution, and competitive outlook for mobile app storefronts and distribution channels
- Evolution and the role of social networking, audience aggregation, location and contextual data, and associated network-effect based models in the mobile value-added services domain
- Quarterly Mobile App Developer Sentiment Survey and Associated Analyses
- Twice Annual Worldwide and U.S. Mobile Apps Market Forecast and Analysis
- Mobile App Platforms Competitive Analysis
- Analysis of the Evolving Competitive Roles in the Mobile App Space of Key Audience Aggregators Such as Facebook, Twitter, Google, LinkedIn, and Many Others Worldwide
In addition to the insight provided in this service, IDC may conduct research on specific topics or emerging market segments via research offerings that require additional IDC funding and client investment.
- What are mobile app developer priorities, practices, and perceptions vis-à-vis the major mobile OSs, and how do those change Q/Q and Y/Y?
- How are the major app platforms evolving to better integrate smartphones, media tablets, and the connected home?
- What meaningful new competitors or business models are expected to emerge in the near and medium term, and what will their impact be on the existing market structure?
- How will HTML5 evolve to compete with more native-based OS platforms like iOS and Android?
IDC's Mobile Consumer Application Platforms CIS examines how major mobile vendors and solutions providers are positioning themselves to compete in the mobile ecosystem. This service reviews the strategies, market positioning, and future direction of a number of players in the mobile apps ecosystem, including:
ABC, Adobe, Alcatel-Lucent, Amazon, Appcelerator, Appia, Apple, AT&T, BlackBerry, Booyah, Bytemobile, CBS, Cisco, CloudMade, CNN, Cox, Disney, eBay, Ericsson, Facebook, Foursquare, Fox, GetJar, Glu, Google, Handango, HP, HTC, Huawei, IBM, Intel, Jumptap, Leap, LG, LinkedIn, Loopt, Medio, MetroPCS, mFoundry, Microsoft, Motorola, Mozilla, MTV, MySpace, Netflix, Neustar, Nokia, Openwave, Opera, PayPal, Qualcomm, QuickPlay, RealNetworks, Roundbox, Samsung, Smule, Sony, Sprint, Streamezzo, SurfKitchen, Telefonica, Time Warner, T-Mobile, Toshiba, Twitter, VeriSign, Verizon, Viacom, Yahoo!, and Zynga.
IDC's Custom Research and Go-to-Market Solutions harness the power of global research, thought leadership, and innovative best practices to drive your business forward. With proven approaches and research-backed methodologies, IDC helps you:
IDC Custom Solutions develops and delivers programs designed around your specific business goals using a foundation of research and insights across technologies, geographies, and industries as well as expertise across practice areas that span strategy, sales and marketing, and business measurement and management. Go here to view our overview video.
Whether you are a technology buyer or provider, IDC Insights' research translates today's global IT professional requirements and trends into business opportunities for your organization. With dedicated businesses targeting energy, financial services, government, healthcare, manufacturing, and retail, IDC provides unmatched integration of global technology and vertical industry expertise to deliver industry-specific customer intelligence that gives clients a powerful business advantage.
Connect and engage with a global network of business and IT professionals in the first-of-its-kind end-user community at http://www.idc-community.com or learn more about our IT Executive research by visiting http://www.idc.com/itexecutive.