IDC's Mobile Consumer Application Platforms service analyzes the role of mobile applications (apps) in the distribution of content and services. The service maintains IDC's global app tracking and forecasting data, which covers application download volumes and revenue models across channels, geographies, and a variety of derivative metrics. This coverage is augmented by research into how apps and services will be architected as a function of technological advances, disruptive innovation, and control exercised at the OS, network, and API layers. The service provides continuous coverage of the strategies, motivations, assets, and opportunities of the major application platform providers. This service conducts semiannual application developer sentiment surveys, measuring app developer perceptions and priorities around competing mobile OSs, HTML5, smartphones and media tablets, APIs, social networking, and next-gen mobile app opportunities like augmented reality, interactive retail, and the connected home.
Mobile Consumer Application Platforms
Markets and Subjects Analyzed
- Competitive dynamics, strategies, and value-creating performance of the major consumer mobile app platforms and ecosystems
- Mobile app developer attitudes and practices
- Performance metrics, evolution, and competitive outlook for mobile app storefronts and distribution channels
- The evolution and role of social networking, audience aggregation, location and contextual data, and associated network effect–based models in the mobile value-added services domain
- Semi-Annual Mobile App Developer Sentiment Survey and Associated Analyses
- Annual Worldwide and U.S. Mobile Apps Market Forecast and Analysis
- Mobile App Platforms Competitive Analysis
- Analysis of the Evolving Competitive Roles in the Mobile App Space of Key Audience Aggregators Such as Facebook, Twitter, Google, LinkedIn, and Many Others Worldwide
In addition to the insight provided in this service, IDC may conduct research on specific topics or emerging market segments via research offerings that require additional IDC funding and client investment.
Key Questions Answered
- What are the motivations, opportunities, priorities, and likely actions of key consumer-facing platform providers (e.g. Apple, Google, Facebook, Microsoft, Amazon, Softbank, Baidu), and how will the mobile service economy be affected?
- What are mobile app developer priorities, practices, and perceptions vis-à-vis the major mobile OSs, and how do those change q/q and y/y?
- How are the major app platforms evolving to address multiscreen strategies and the Internet of Things?
- What meaningful new competitors or business models are expected to emerge in the near and medium term, and what will their impact be on the existing market structure?