IDC's Wearables analyzes the emerging market for wearable computing solutions, including technologies and ecosystems to use cases for consumers and enterprise users. Wearables will create new market opportunities and revenue streams for multiple players, including apparel manufacturers, IT and telecom companies, brands, content providers, advertisers, and OEMs. Those investing in this segment and seeking to understand the user and product segments, near- versus long-term opportunities, and applications and business models will gain critical insights into this exciting and nascent market. IDC leverages its relationships with nascent and established wearables companies to provide an accurate snapshot of the market and capture developing opinions and insights. In addition, IDC brings its expertise from its mobile, semiconductor, and consumer research teams that incorporate industrywide research, primary qualitative research, and IDC's forecasting methodology.
- Consumer attitudes toward wearables and drivers and inhibitors of adoption of applications
- Shipments, revenue, installed base, and household penetration of consumer wearables
- Opportunities and challenges for wearables within the enterprise
- Opportunities and challenges for wearables as a BYOD solution
- Evolution of embedded technologies and designs and their potential impact on future applications and segments of wearable technologies
- Key technology enablers of the wearables market
- Forecast for wearables covering worldwide and the United States for consumers and enterprise
- Qualitative primary research and analysis of consumer wearables regarding preference, intent, and usage
- Vertical applications of wearables
- Key vendor profiles in wearables, including OEMs, and enabling technology companies
- Channel analysis for wearables
- Worldwide Consumer Wearables Forecast, 2014–2019
- U.S. Consumer Wearables Forecast, 2014–2019
- Worldwide Enterprise Wearables Forecast, 2014-2019
- U.S. Enterprise Wearables Forecast, 2014-2019
- Evolution of Wearables: IDC Wearables Taxonomy Revisited
In addition to the insight provided in this service, IDC may conduct research on specific topics or emerging market segments via research offerings that require additional IDC funding and client investment.
- What factors, events, or trigger points will determine the timing, development, and structure of the wearables market?
- How will the major platforms influence the wearables market? What opportunities will there be for proprietary platforms?
- How will today's dominant consumer-facing companies such as Apple, Google, Microsoft, Amazon, and Facebook influence the wearables market?
- What opportunities lay ahead for wearables in the enterprise, and which verticals are best poised to leverage wearables? What challenges – both short term and long term – must the wearables overcome?
- What is the opportunity for wearables as a BYOD solution, and what must enterprises do to prepare for their growth?
- What is the size of the wearables hardware market (e.g., endpoints, revenue, consumer spending), and how will it grow?
- What role will standards or standardization initiatives play in enabling the wearables market, and to what extent will these be related to the broader Internet of Things domain?
- Who are the key enablers for wearables, and how are they poised to influence the direction of the market?
- How will wearables evolve in terms of form factor, experience, applications, and end-user acceptance?
ASUSTeK Computer Inc., AT&T Inc., Apple Inc., Avegant, Belkin International, Inc., Bionym Inc., Broadcom Corporation, COOKOO, Fitbit, Inc., Garmin Ltd., Google Inc., HTC Corporation, Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd., Imagination Technologies Group plc, Intel Corporation, Jawbone, Kreyos, LG Corp., LumaFit, Martian Watches, MediaTek Inc., Microsoft Corporation, Motorola Solutions, Inc., Netatmo, Nuance Communications, Inc., Nymi, Optinvent, QUALCOMM Incorporated, Recon Instruments, Salesforce.com, Inc., Samsung, Sony Corporation, T-Mobile International AG, Telepathy Japan Inc., Timex Corporation, Toshiba Corporation, VUZIX CORPORATION, Verizon Communications, Inc., Vidcie, adidas AG