IDC Manufacturing Insights' Commercial Robotics advisory service provides companies with information and expertise to better deploy robotics technology. As companies seek to transform their operating models to be more autonomic and flexible, robotics will play a substantial role, not just on the factory floor but wherever tasks can be automated. Forward-looking research, combined with fact-based analysis of successful global robotic strategies, provides clients with practical ways to better manage product quality, improve responsiveness, and substantially increase productivity.
IDC Manufacturing Insights conducts research on the impact of commercial robotics – both industrial and service – on industry processes. Reports will identify the opportunities for the deployment of robotics, how companies should make the business case for investment, how leaders are taking advantage of the technological advances, and which vendors and implementation partners are proving most capable at delivering value.
Throughout the year, this service will address the following topics:
- Advances in key robotics physical components including processors, grippers, batteries, and vision systems
- Advances in software technology supporting robotics, particularly the use of cognitive approaches to improve learning
- The integration of robotics into existing corporate processes
- The use of service robots in industry
- Regional adoption patterns and practices
Our research addresses the following issues that are critical to your success:
- How do I make the case for investment in advanced robotics?
- What are the companies that are most effective at deploying robotics doing to achieve superior performance?
- How does the proliferation of robots change approaches to staffing?
- What technologies contribute most to the advance of robotic capabilities?
- How capable is existing cognitive software in advancing the ability of robots to learn?
Robotics have been with us for many years but leaps in functional capabilities combined by a steady decrease in unit prices will turn robotics into a cornerstone technology that will accelerate the adoption of the 3rd Platform and enable new digital business models. Our research will help several key constituencies take full advantage including:
- IT executives that need to integrate robotics into existing processes
- Operations executives deploying robotics to improve productivity and reliability
- Large consulting firms assisting clients in operating model transformation
- Software vendors wishing to support integration with robotics
- Component suppliers that must understand market needs
- Robotics OEMs that need to translate industry use cases into product messages
Research Director, IDC Worldwide Robotics
Research Manager, Supply Chain
Research Manager, EMEA
Research Analyst, Tablets