IDC's United States Mobile Consumer Services research analyzes the market surrounding the adoption of consumer wireless services. This service examines the market development, quantifies the market opportunity, and provides a comprehensive analysis of the mobile operator — as well as new entrants such as cable and automotive companies — in serving consumers with wireless access. The program examines the evolving prepaid voice and data markets, consumer adoption of mobile broadband services, and mobile messaging (SMS, MMS, and OTT [over the top]). It also quantifies the market opportunity for wireless voice and data services, examines the impact of wireless displacement on wireline access, and explores the competitive dynamics emerging from LTE deployments and the need for operators to differentiate in an increasingly competitive market. Qualitative analysis of consumer mobile security concerns and mobile video interest is provided to clients.
- Consumer wireless voice and data subscribers, ARPU, and revenue forecasts for wireless voice and data services
- Mobile service plans, including the impact of multidevice/shared data plans versus unlimited plans as well as contract versus no-contract plans
- Positioning of mobile broadband access services (as complementary or competitive) and the impact of wireless displacement on fixed broadband services
- Connected car and the role of mobile operators in the consumer automotive market
- Assessment of the viability and strategic direction of 3G and 4G wireless services, including forecasts for consumer mobile broadband subscribers and revenue
- LTE coverage and deployment strategies at mobile operators and the impact of VoLTE and RCS on mobile service plans
- Analysis of the prepaid and postpaid wireless services market — including the evolving role of prepaid data
- Consumer interest and demand in additional services, such as cloud storage, international messaging, and music streaming
- Consumer Subscribers, ARPU, and Revenue Forecast
- U.S. LTE Subscriber Forecast
- Quarterly Operator Results Roundup and Analysis
- Fixed Broadband Displacement by Mobile Broadband
- Landline Displacement by Wireless Services
- U.S. Contract Versus Non-Contract Subscriber Forecast
- U.S. Prepaid Wireless Services Forecast
- Consumer Surveys — Wireless Services
In addition to the insight provided in this service, IDC may conduct research on specific topics or emerging market segments via research offerings that require additional IDC funding and client investment.
- What are the key drivers and inhibitors for consumer adoption and usage of mobile broadband services? How does the market opportunity vary by technology and consumer use case?
- What strategies are emerging in the pricing, packaging, and marketing of mobile services? What will be the impact of multidevice plans at select operators? How is the role of value-add and loyalty models emerging?
- What role will prepaid voice and data play in coming years? If any at all? How is the prepaid model evolving in the wireless market? How will prepaid wireless services impact the postpaid wireless market?
- What is the role of LTE across both postpaid and prepaid services?
- How will the growing popularity of 3G/4G mobile broadband services impact fixed broadband access? Is mobile broadband complementary to or competitive with fixed broadband services?
- How will mobile operators adapt to the growing number of over-the-top voice, messaging, and other applications? What effect will applications have on pricing?
- Will operators shift device and plan pricing models from subsidized devices to monthly device repayment plans? How will consumers respond to a change in the way they purchase devices?
- How will the emergence of VoLTE services influence consumer demand for both the new service and the VoLTE-capable devices?
IDC's United States Mobile Consumer Services examines how companies are positioning themselves to compete in the consumer mobile broadband and wireless markets. This service reviews the strategies, market positioning, and future direction of key players including:
Assurance Wireless, AT&T, BlackBerry, Boost Mobile, Cablevision, CenturyLink, Charter, Clearwire, Comcast, Cox Communications, C Spire Wireless, Facebook, Google, Intel, Leap Wireless (Cricket), Metro PCS, Microsoft, Qwest, RCN, Republic Wireless, Scratch Wireless, Sprint, Time Warner Cable, T-Mobile, TracFone, U.S. Cellular, Verizon, Verizon Wireless, and Virgin Mobile.
IDC's Custom Research and Go-to-Market Solutions harness the power of global research, thought leadership, and innovative best practices to drive your business forward. With proven approaches and research-backed methodologies, IDC helps you:
IDC Custom Solutions develops and delivers programs designed around your specific business goals using a foundation of research and insights across technologies, geographies, and industries as well as expertise across practice areas that span strategy, sales and marketing, and business measurement and management. Go here to view our overview video.
Whether you are a technology buyer or provider, IDC Insights' research translates today's global IT professional requirements and trends into business opportunities for your organization. With dedicated businesses targeting energy, financial services, government, healthcare, manufacturing, and retail, IDC provides unmatched integration of global technology and vertical industry expertise to deliver industry-specific customer intelligence that gives clients a powerful business advantage.
Connect and engage with a global network of business and IT professionals in the first-of-its-kind end-user community at http://www.idc-community.com or learn more about our IT Executive research by visiting http://www.idc.com/itexecutive.