IDC's Developer Demographics, Communities and Skills service provides deep insights into developer attitudes and preferences for software development tools, languages, and programming models, with a focus on products and technologies that enable Digital Transformation and a movement to 3rd Platform technologies. This service estimates developer populations across geographies, verticals, technologies and, where possible, gender and education levels. In addition to programming languages and software development tools, this service covers the impact on developers by enabling technologies behind cloud-native applications such as containers, orchestration engines, API design tools, mobile back end as a service (MBaaS), and IoT developer offerings. This research explores paradigm shifts in application platforms and architectures such as the move to microservices and low-code model development platforms. It also provides market shares and forecasts for software development tools markets.
- Developer demographics, population, and product preferences
- Development software as a predictor of future deployment trends
- Cloud and server application platforms and environments
- Web application development tools and practices
- Programming languages and IDE choices
- Open source software and business models
- Low-code and model-driven application platforms
- Developer toolchains and workflows
- Developer product positioning, marketing, business models, monetization, and pricing models
- Evolution of application architectures (e.g., client/server, SOA, distributed systems, and microservices)
- Worldwide Developer Population Sizing and Forecasts Across Geographies
- U.S. Developer Sizing Across States, Gender and Vertical Industries
- Market Analysis Perspective: Worldwide Developer Demographics
- Software Construction Components Usage and Trends
- Development Languages, Environments, and Tools Market Shares and Forecast
- Software Construction Components Market Shares and Forecast
- Multiple Developer View Survey Results Documents
- The Development Ecosystem: Exploring Developer
In addition to the insight provided in this service, IDC may conduct research on specific topics or emerging market segments via research offerings that require additional IDC funding and client investment.
- What are the main developer ecosystems, and how does ecosystem affiliation affect technology choices?
- How are developer ecosystem evolving? How does a company build or participate effectively in an ecosystem?
- What developer platforms will drive the evolution of cloud application platforms?
- How will cross-platform application development evolve, and how will the web platform compete with native mobile platforms?
- What languages, tools, and methodologies are developers adopting to increase their productivity?
- What are the new software monetization techniques and strategies, and what are the new business models for developer services?
- What are the architectural shifts taking place in application platforms, and how will they affect software development practices?
- How will legacy applications be evolved or migrated to accommodate new developer trends?
- What will next-generation application deployments look like based on current developer trends?
APPIAN CORPORATION, AT&T Inc., AZUL SYSTEMS INC, Adobe Systems Incorporated, Altova GmbH, Amazon.com, Inc., Appcelerator, Inc., Appery LLC, Apple Inc., Atlassian, Built Co.,LTD, CA Technologies, Inc., Developer Express, Eclipse Foundation, Inc., Embarcadero Technologies, Inc., Facebook, Inc., Fico B.V., Four Js, GITHUB, INC., Genuitec, Google Inc., GrapeCity inc., Green Hills Software, Inc., Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd., IBM, Infragistics, Inc., Intel Corporation, Intuit Inc., JetBrains s.r.o., Kony, Inc., LM Ericsson Telephone Company, Magic Software Enterprises Inc., Micro Focus International plc, Microsoft Corporation, Mozilla Foundation, NO MAGIC, INCORPORATED, OpenText Corporation, Oracle Corporation, PREEMPTIVE SOLUTIONS L L C, PTC, Inc., Pegasystems Inc., Pivotal Software, Inc., Progress Software Corporation, QUALCOMM Incorporated, QUICKBASE, INC., Red Hat, Inc., Rogue Wave Software, Inc., SAP AG, SAS Institute Inc., SERVOY BV, Salesforce.com, Inc., Samsung, ServiceNow, Inc., Software AG, Sparx Systems Pty Ltd, Syncfusion, TIBCO Software Inc., The Linux Foundation, Uniface Corporation, Zoho Corporation Pvt. Ltd.