IDC's Application Development Software service provides deep insights into developer attitudes and preferences for software development tools, languages, and programming models. The service explores the major developer and programming language ecosystems and tracks their dynamics and evolution. This includes the mobile and cloud disruptions taking place and their impact on enterprise architectures. Additional key research areas include cross-platform application development, abstracted model-driven application platforms, tools and platform-as-a-service (PaaS) offerings and the exploration of APIs and mobile backend-as-a-service offerings. The service continues to examine paradigm shifts in application platforms and architectures. Sizing and forecasting of software development tools markets and professional and hobbyist developer counts by country are provided.
- Developer skills ecosystems
- Mobile application development approaches
- Programming languages and IDEs
- HTML5 and the mobile Web
- Software construction components and user interface frameworks
- Cloud application platforms and PaaS offerings
- Model-driven versus deployment-driven PaaS
- Developer tool chains and workflows
- Modeling and enterprise architecture tools
- Business rules and decision management engines
- Application Development Software Market Forecast and Analysis
- Vendor Revenue Market Shares, Profiles, and SWOT Analyses
- Open Source Software and Business Models
- Evolution of Application Runtime Architectures
- Marketing, Positioning, and Channel Strategies
- Monetization Strategies and Pricing Models
- Development Methodologies and Paradigms to Conquer Complexity and Increase Developer Productivity
In addition to the insight provided in this service, IDC may conduct research on specific topics or emerging market segments via research offerings that require additional IDC funding and client investment.
- What are the main developer ecosystems, and how does ecosystem affiliation affect technology choices?
- What languages, tools, and methodologies are developers adopting to increase their productivity?
- What are the architectural shifts taking place in application platforms on both clients and servers, and how will they affect application development practices?
- How will mobile application development evolve, and how will mobile application platform ecosystems align with traditional development ecosystems?
- What are the new software monetization techniques and strategies and what are the new business models for developer services?
- What will drive the evolution of cloud application platforms?
IDC's Application Development Software service examines how software providers are positioning themselves to compete in the application software and services development market. This service reviews strategies, market positioning, and the future direction of many providers in software development space, including:
ActiveState, Adobe, Altova, Amazon, AMD, Appcelerator, Apple, ARM Holdings, CA Technologies, ComponentOne, Compuware, Developer Express, Eclipse Foundation, Embarcadero, FICO, Four Js, Fujitsu, Genuitec, Google, GrapeCity, Green Hills Software, HP, IBM, Infragistics, Intel, Intuit, JetBrains, Kony Solutions, Magic Software, Micro Focus, Microsoft, Mozilla Foundation, No Magic, Oracle, Pegasystems Inc., Preemptive, Progress Software, Qualcomm, Red Hat, Rocket Software, Rogue Wave Software, salesforce.com, SAP, SAS Institute, Sencha, Servoy, Software AG, Sparx Systems, Sun Microsystems, Sybase, Syncfusion, Telerik, TIBCO, TigerLogic, Troux Technologies, Unisys, VMware, Xamarin, Yahoo!, and Zend.
IDC's Custom Research and Go-to-Market Solutions harness the power of global research, thought leadership, and innovative best practices to drive your business forward. With proven approaches and research-backed methodologies, IDC helps you:
IDC Custom Solutions develops and delivers programs designed around your specific business goals using a foundation of research and insights across technologies, geographies, and industries as well as expertise across practice areas that span strategy, sales and marketing, and business measurement and management. Go here to view our overview video.
Whether you are a technology buyer or provider, IDC Insights' research translates today's global IT professional requirements and trends into business opportunities for your organization. With dedicated businesses targeting energy, financial services, government, healthcare, manufacturing, and retail, IDC provides unmatched integration of global technology and vertical industry expertise to deliver industry-specific customer intelligence that gives clients a powerful business advantage.
Connect and engage with a global network of business and IT professionals in the first-of-its-kind end-user community at http://www.idc-community.com or learn more about our IT Executive research by visiting http://www.idc.com/itexecutive.