IDC's SaaS and Cloud Software research examines the opportunity, customer demand criteria, and business success characteristics for the creation of SaaS and provides an accounting of all the revenue earned from selling applications (SaaS), platform (PaaS), and system infrastructure software as cloud services. This service identifies the operational strategies for building and selling all types of service-enabled software along with optimal go-to-market and management strategies. Analysis of the disruptive forces impacting customer demand and vendor business models is also provided, along with the software and services view of the cloud, with more specific detail and data than is found in IDC's Cloud Services: Global Overview program. New software-related constructs from the world of cloud, such as application marketplaces, are also a core part of this program's research.
- SaaS-enablement strategies for packaged software ISVs
- Customer adoption trends and preferences, drivers, and inhibitors
- SaaS provider issues, including projected opportunity and business/delivery model strategies
- Market optimization strategies such as SaaS enablement, third-party hosting, and partnering methods
- Global SaaS opportunity forecast and analysis
- SaaS adoption drivers, inhibitors, and customer preferences
- The transition from traditional software creation and distribution to cloud-based platforms and marketplaces
- Partner and channel strategies for SaaS providers
- SaaS provider software, service, and operational strategies
- Worldwide SaaS Delivery Model Forecasts
- SaaS Competitive Analysis of Top Vendors
- SaaS Adoption Strategies
- Business Models for Cloud Software
- Enterprise Applications Marketplaces
- The Economics of Delivering SaaS and Cloud Software
In addition to the insight provided in this service, IDC may conduct research on specific topics or emerging market segments via research offerings that require additional IDC funding and client investment.
- Where do SaaS and cloud intersect? How can vendors and customers prosper from a better understanding of how SaaS providers can be cloud service providers?
- What are best practices in sales, marketing, business operations, R&D, billing, infrastructure operations, branding, and so forth for traditional software vendors to become "hybrid" vendors?
- How can software vendors and ecosystem players use SaaS to help meet the needs of customers?
- What are the dominant and emerging service creation models for SaaS? How do these providers utilize a cloud infrastructure?
- What are the use cases for SaaS providers to source and consume other lower-level infrastructure services and higher-level BP services to serve their customers?
- What companies lead in earning revenue from selling SaaS and PaaS?
ADP, LLC, APPTIX ASA, AT&T Inc., AXENTIS INC, Accenture plc, Adobe Systems Incorporated, Akamai Technologies, Inc., Amazon.com, Inc., Autodesk, Inc., Avaya Inc., BMC Software, Inc., BUSINESS OBJECTS, Box, Inc., CA Technologies, Inc., CEGID S.A., COLLABNET, INC., CenturyLink, Inc., Cisco Systems, Inc., Citrix Systems, Inc., Computer Sciences Corporation, Compuware Corporation, DIGITAL INSIGHT CORPORATION, Dell Inc., Demandware, Inc., Digital River, Inc., Dropbox Inc., EMC Corporation, Fujitsu Limited, Google Inc., Grupo ACS, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, IBM, INTRAWARE, INC., Intacct Corporation, Intel Corporation, IntraLinks Holdings Inc., Intuit Inc., Jive Software, KETERA TECHNOLOGIES, INC., Keynote Systems, Inc., LIVEPERSON, INC., Microsoft Corporation, NAVISITE, INC., Nippon Telegraph and Telephone Corporation, Nokia Corporation, OpSource, Inc., Oracle Corporation, PARALLELS INC., Peoplefluent, Inc., Progress Software Corporation, QUALYS, INC., Rackspace Hosting, Inc., SAP AG, SPS Commerce, Inc., SUGARCRM INC., Salesforce.com, Inc., ServiceNow, Inc., Sprint Corporation, Symantec Corporation, Telstra Corporation Limited, The Ultimate Software Group, Inc., UNIT4 N.V., VMware, Inc., Veeva Systems Inc., Verio Inc., Verizon Communications, Inc., Visma AS, Vocus Communications Limited, WORKSPACE GROUP PLC, Workday, Inc., Workstream Inc., Zoho Corporation Pvt. Ltd.
Program Vice President, SaaS, Business Models, and Monetization
Senior Research Analyst, SaaS and Cloud Software