Demonetization impacted demand in Q4 2016 resulting in decline in both inkjet and laser market: IDC India
21 Mar 2017
Due to demonetization consumer purchase was affected while deals from Government and corporates were also put on hold because of which, the overall HCP market witnessed low numbers. However, the consumer sentiment remains good and going forward the demand is expected to pick up in coming quarters with impact of demonetization subsiding in India.
The Overall HCP* Market:
- HP Inc. managed to achieve 44.1 percent shipment share in Q4 2016 leading the printer market in India.
- Epson has overtaken Canon to be 2nd biggest player with 23.4 percent Market Share.
- Canon lost further ground with a 1.9 point sequential decline and a market share of 18.1 percent.
- Samsung emerged into the fourth position in Q4 2016 at 4.6 percent; followed by Brother at 2.9 percent.
Inkjet HCP* Market:
- Demand was impacted by demonetization and HCP Inkjet market witnessed a sequential decline of 24.6 percent quarter-on-quarter.
- Epson witnessed year-on-year growth of 26.9 percent while all other vendors suffered both year-on-year and sequential declines.
“Q4 2016 had a major impact on the market due to demonetization but Q1 2017 is likely to bring good news. The market is expected to see growth with government and corporate deals coming in as well as demonetization impact subsiding which would result in rising consumer demand” says Manali De Bhaumik, Senior Market Analyst, IDC India.
Laser HCP* (Printer-Based) Market:
• Market declined by 11.6 percent quarter-on-quarter in terms of unit shipments in Q4 2016. After a good Q3, the market was soft in Q2 2016 due to low Government and corporate deals.
• HP Inc. continued to be the market leader with a share of 55.7 percent, followed by Canon and Samsung at the second and third position respectively. HP Inc. witnessed a decline this quarter while Ricoh dropped to fifth position and lost share this quarter.
Laser HCP* (Copier-Based) Market:
• There was a sequential dip of 16.1 percent and Q4 2016 was soft due to demonetization affecting the jobbers segment and low government spending
• Canon managed to hold on to No.1 spot with a market share of 27.4 percent despite a 12.6 percent sequential decline in shipments.
• Konica Minolta was at 2nd position with 23.1 percent market share followed by Ricoh and Kyocera Document Solutions.
Inkjet market is expected to be dominated by ink tank printers as vendors push their printers with aggressive marketing campaigns. “With consumer also opting for ink tanks and their preference over entry level lasers, inkjets are likely to continue on the growth path and dominate the market in the coming quarters. Laser copier market is also expected to do well in the coming quarters, due to the digitization initiatives by the Government originating the demand for copiers. Tier 3 and 4 cities have been doing well and are expected to drive the growth in the coming quarters” says Nishant Bansal, Research Manager Imaging, Printing and Document Solutions, IDC India.
About IDC Trackers
IDC Tracker products provide accurate and timely market size, vendor share, and forecasts for hundreds of technology markets from more than 100 countries around the globe. Using proprietary tools and research processes, IDC's Trackers are updated on a semiannual, quarterly, and monthly basis. Tracker results are delivered to clients in user-friendly excel deliverables and on-line query tools. The IDC Tracker Charts app allows users to view data charts from the most recent IDC Tracker products on their iPhone and iPad.
International Data Corporation (IDC) is the premier global provider of market intelligence, advisory services, and events for the information technology, telecommunications, and consumer technology markets. With more than 1,100 analysts worldwide, IDC offers global, regional, and local expertise on technology and industry opportunities and trends in over 110 countries. IDC's analysis and insight helps IT professionals, business executives, and the investment community to make fact-based technology decisions and to achieve their key business objectives. Founded in 1964, IDC is a subsidiary of IDG, the world's leading technology media, research, and events company. To learn more about IDC, please visit www.idc.com. Follow IDC on Twitter at @IDC.
All product and company names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.
For more information on the "HCP Printer Market" please contact:
Nishant Bansal, Research Manager (Imaging, Printing and Document Solutions), IDC India, email@example.com
Manali De Bhaumik, Senior Market Analyst, IDC India, firstname.lastname@example.org
ContactFor more information, contact: