China Propelled APeJ Growth for the fourth Consecutive Quarter as SMB Stimulates Increased Demand for Print, IDC Reports
24 May 2017
SINGAPORE, May 25th, 2017 – According to the latest IDC Asia Pacific Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals Tracker, the total hardcopy peripherals shipment in 2017Q1 for the Asia Pacific region excluding Japan (APeJ) was 7.27 million units. This is a 5.6% improvement vs the same period last year and marks the fourth consecutive quarter of growth for the region. Both laser and inkjet markets have contributed to the growth, with laser growing 7.1% year-on-year (YoY) while inkjet grew by 8.1% YoY. The region’s growth was largely driven by China, where the demand for print devices significantly grew as local government policies encouraging entrepreneurship helped to induce more than 5 million new businesses in 2016.
“With a daily average of more than 13,000 new businesses in 2016, majority of which are within the SMB segment, there is a significant influx of offices in need for print devices in China. As a result, we should see the China market’s continued growth in the coming year,” says Yexi Liao, Market Analyst of IDC Asia/Pacific’s Image Printing and Document Solutions (IPDS) team.
“HP pounced on the increased opportunities in China by partnering with one of China’s top etailers, JD.com, to host a JD HP Super Brand Day promotion in February this year. The promotion helped HP to widen their lead as the top vendor in the APeJ market and contributed to their 11% growth vs the same period last year. HP is expected to continue its upward trend as they take aim at the laser copier market with their range of new products to be launched later this year,” according to Yexi.
Here are some other key highlights and upcoming trends to note in the APeJ hardcopy peripherals market from 2017Q1:
- The top five hardcopy peripherals companies account for 81% of the market. The main players dominance is expected to continue, especially with the full implementation of HP Inc’s acquisition of Samsung’s print business in the 2nd half of 2017. We do not expect to see any new hardcopy peripherals companies entering the market that will be able to make a significant difference to the market.
- Inkjet market continues to shift more towards ink tank printers. Ink tank printers continues to grow at a rapid rate, recording a 34.3% YoY growth in 2017Q1. The growth is largely due to the consumer and SMB segments of the market, where they are more cost conscious and prefer the low cost per page benefit that ink tank technology can provide. ASEAN remains to be the top market for both inkjet and ink tank printers, while India has finally overtaken China this quarter as the 2nd biggest ink tank market in the region.
- Laser market in APeJ continues to outperform the rest of the world. Propelled by the growing demand for print devices in China, APeJ had recorded the highest YoY growth rate in the world for the 3rd consecutive quarter. HP Inc grew the fastest, increasing their laser shipment in the region by more than 177,000 units YoY in 2017Q1 vs same period last year.
- Online sales is at an all time high. Due to the strong partnership between vendors and key etailers such as JD.com and Tmall, online purchasing is no longer just for consumers; even channels are shifting to make their purchases online due to the low product pricing and ease of delivery provided by the etailers.
- Mature markets continue to shift away from print. Overall shipment in mature markets such as Singapore, Hong Kong, Australia, New Zealand, and Korea continued to decline in 2017Q1 as a result of digitization and the high adoption rate of smart devices.
For inquiries on this tracker research, please contact your IDC account manager or Shari Jane Jansen at email@example.com. For media inquiries, please contact Tessa Rago firstname.lastname@example.org or Alvin Afuang email@example.com.
- Ends -
About IDC Trackers
IDC Tracker products provide accurate and timely market size, company share, and forecasts for hundreds of technology markets from more than 100 countries around the globe. Using proprietary tools and research processes, IDC's Trackers are updated on a semiannual, quarterly, and monthly basis. Tracker results are delivered to clients in user-friendly excel deliverables and on-line query tools. The IDC Tracker Charts app allows users to view data charts from the most recent IDC Tracker products on their iPhone and iPad.
International Data Corporation (IDC) is the premier global provider of market intelligence, advisory services, and events for the information technology, telecommunications, and consumer technology markets. With more than 1,100 analysts worldwide, IDC offers global, regional, and local expertise on technology and industry opportunities and trends in over 110 countries. IDC's analysis and insight helps IT professionals, business executives, and the investment community to make fact-based technology decisions and to achieve their key business objectives. Founded in 1964, IDC is a subsidiary of IDG, the world's leading technology media, research, and events company. To learn more about IDC, please visit www.idc.com. Follow IDC on Twitter at @IDC.
All product and company names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.
ContactFor more information, contact:
+65 6829 7732
+63917 797 4586