Professional Services Companies See High IT Spending Growth and Strong Appetite for Innovation, Says IDC
17 Dec 2012
MILAN, Italy, December 17, 2012 — According to the latest 2013 predictions from the European Vertical Markets group at International Data Corporation (IDC), IT spending will grow above the market average in the professional services industry, which includes legal, accounting, consulting, architecture, and engineering companies.
"The professional services industry is now forecast to grow at 4% in a market that on average is growing at 1.8%," said Angela Vacca, research manager, European Vertical Markets. "This means that the professional services industry is still investing while most other sectors are experiencing a moderate or flat trend."
IDC also predicts that:
- Legal and accounting will be the best performing subindustries. The outlook varies by subindustry, country, and company size, but across subindustries, IDC forecasts that the biggest spending increases will be in legal and accounting companies, as they have a positive business outlook and a greater willingness to spend on IT.
- Cost reduction will remain a hot issue for many reasons, including the fact that professional services companies' businesses are changing, and this is resulting in increasing complexity, which in turn could lead to greater operating costs.
- Security and data protection will be key and will continue to be very high priorities in 2013.
- Customer care will enter the top 3 business priorities. Customer care has not traditionally been a top challenge for professional services companies, but now that competition is increasing, it is becoming increasingly important. IT, legal, and consulting companies in particular rank customer care very highly.
- Storage investments will increase, driven by regulatory concerns and business issues. Big Data remains tepid.
- Project-related solutions will see major investments in 2013 as industry-specific applications are essential for professional services companies' business operations.
- Cloud is slowly taking ground.
- Mobile solution adoption will continue to grow.
- Social media adoption will almost double.
About IDC Predictions
A key part of IDC's offerings for three decades, the annual top 10 predictions reports provide IDC's outlook on the IT market, across industries, for the coming year. For more information on the professional services predictions, please see IDC Predictions 2013: The Professional Services Industry in Western Europe (IDC #MP51U, December 2012). This and other IDC predictions reports are available at www.idc.com/predictions2013.
About the Webcast
IDC's professional services predictions were also presented on December 4, 2012, by Angela Vacca, research manager, European Vertical Markets, IDC. The one-hour Webcast focused on market dynamics that will be driving IT investment priorities in 2013, and included results from the IDC European Vertical Markets Survey 2012 and from current research and analysis based on the recently launched report series European IT Opportunity: Professional Services Vertical Market.
IDC is the premier global provider of market intelligence, advisory services, and events for the information technology, telecommunications, and consumer technology markets. IDC helps IT professionals, business executives, and the investment community to make fact-based decisions on technology purchases and business strategy. More than 1,000 IDC analysts provide global, regional, and local expertise on technology and industry opportunities and trends in over 110 countries worldwide. For more than 48 years, IDC has provided strategic insights to help our clients achieve their key business objectives. IDC is a subsidiary of IDG, the world's leading technology media, research, and events company. You can learn more about IDC by visiting www.idc.com.
ContactFor more information, contact: