IDC Releases Market Predictions for 2014: CIO Agenda
04 Dec 2013
By 2018, adoption of 3rd Platform IT technologies will redefine 90% of IT roles
Framingham, MA – December 4, 2013 – Today, International Data Corporation (IDC) hosted a webinar “IDC 2014 Predictions: CIO Agenda - Embracing 3rd Platform Leadership Challenges as IT Transitions from Technology to Service Delivery” highlighting the top 10 market predictions for the year ahead. Featuring analysts David McNally, Joseph Pucciarelli, Dr. Ron Babin and Fred Magee, the session provided insight on long-term industry trends along with new themes that may be on the horizon that will most impact the role of the CIO. The Predictions Web Conference series is designed to help company leaders capitalize on emerging market opportunities and plan for future growth.
- ClicktoTweet, “IDC Releases Market Predictions for 2014: CIO Agenda”
While the 3rd Platform of mobile, social, big data, and cloud services is just beginning to mature, it will require an entirely different set of IT skills and roles — many of which are yet to be invented. According to Fred Magee, adjunct research advisor with IDC’s Research Network, "We believe there are clear indicators that the existing role of technology management will evolve in a few short years to a set of roles that includes management of innovation, information intelligence, customer experience, and digital business presence. It's going to be an exciting decade."
The Top 10 Predictions are:
- Prediction 1 – In two years, over 70% of CIOs will change their primary role from directly managing IT to become an innovation partner
- Prediction 2 - Before 2017, only 40% of CIOs will rise to produce business enhancing insights from big data and analytics
- Prediction 3 - 70% of CIOs will increase enterprise exposure to risk to accelerate business agility through increased cloud adoption
- Prediction 4 - Enterprise business mobility will require 60% of CIOs by 2017 to support an agile architecture with next-generation mobile applications
- Prediction 5 - The demographic shift to young and mobile customers will require 80% of CIOs in consumer-facing businesses to integrate IT with public social networks by 2015
- Prediction 6 - By 2015, 3rd Platform requirements will drive 60% of CIOs to use enterprise architecture (EA) as a required IT tool, but only 40% will deploy EA effectively.
- Prediction 7 - By 2015, 60% of CIO security budgets for increasingly vulnerable legacy systems will be 30-40% too small to fund enterprise threat assessments
- Prediction 8 - By 2017, the transfer of 3rd Platform investments from IT to line-of-business budgets will require 60% of CIOs to focus the IT budget on business innovation and value
- Prediction 9 - By 2016, 80% of the IT budget will be based on providing broad portfolio of IT and business services
- Prediction 10 - By 2018, adoption of 3rd Platform IT technologies will redefine 90% of IT roles
For additional information about these predictions or to arrange a one-on-one briefing, please contact Sarah Murray at 781-378-2674 or email@example.com. Reports are available to qualified members of the media. For information on purchasing reports, contact firstname.lastname@example.org; reporters should email email@example.com.
About IDC Predictions
As we have for the past three decades, IDC ends the year with our outlook for the coming year in the IT market. During the next 60 days, IDC will publish literally dozens of IDC Top 10 Predictions documents for 2014. Please visit http://www.idc.com/predictions2014 for a complete listing.
About IDC Insights
IDC Insights lines of business assist businesses and IT leaders, as well as the suppliers who serve them, in making more effective technology decisions by providing accurate, timely, and insightful fact-based research and consulting services. Our global research and analysis is focused on mitigating technology risks, maximizing the effectiveness of IT investments, identifying new opportunities, and bringing forth technology solutions that are aligned with the organization's business objectives. International Data Corporation (IDC) is the premier global provider of market intelligence, advisory services, and events for the information technology market. IDC is a subsidiary of IDG, the world’s leading technology, media, research, and events company. For more information, please visit www.idc.com, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 508-872-8200. Visit the IDC Insights Community at http://idc-insights-community.com/.
# # #
ContactFor more information, contact: