IDC Energy Insights Evaluates Providers of Meter Data Management Software in EMEA
13 Jan 2016
Two companies stand out as leaders in MDM Software
FRAMINGHAM, Mass., January 13, 2016 – IDC Energy Insights announced today the availability of a new IDC MarketScape report designed to provide end users with the leading MDM systems and applications that support EMEA utilities' meter-to-cash and meter-to-grid processes. The new study, IDC MarketScape : Meter Data Management Software for EMEA Utilities 2015 Vendor Assessment (Doc #EMEA40706815), analyzes the vendors' quantitative and qualitative characteristics, compares their success within the marketplace, examines the prospective evolution of their products and services, and provides metrics and context for utilities evaluating potential technology partners in this application area. Vendors evaluated in this report include: AMT-SYBEX, CGI, Elster, Energyworx, Engineering, Enoro, Ferranti Computer Systems, Itron, Landis+Gyr, Oracle, Robotron, and Siemens.
- Click to Tweet: New MarketScape from IDC Energy Insights Evaluates Meter Data Management Software Providers of EMEA Utilities
"The market landscape of MDM systems has reached maturity over the past few years as vendors tuned their products for impending smart meter rollouts and evolving market regulation in Europe," said Jean-François Segalotto , Senior Research Analyst EMEA, IDC Energy Insights . "With meter-to-cash support now a given, vendors are enabling utilities to extract more value from their advanced metering infrastructure, using smart meters as grid sensors and tools for customer insight and engagement."
The new IDC MarketScape provides recommendations to choose and work with a vendor partner in the MDM systems market. IDC Energy Insights provides a sampling of key takeaways for end users:
- Leverage MDM for Innovation – Accelerate your move from a meter- and billing-centric vision of meter reads and device data to one where this data is used to support innovation and excellence in customer and grid operations.
- Do Not Customize: Configure – Maturity of the MDM market allows today's buyers to make the most of out-of-the-box standard configurations, business rules libraries, workflow templates, and market packages. The benefits will be realized in lower project costs and lower cost of ownership in the longer term through quicker patching and upgrades.
- Consider Cloud and Managed Services – MDM vendors are pushing cloud solutions to various degrees, from over-the-top cloud analytics to full-fledged PaaS, and fully hosted MDM infrastructure, down to niche, pure-play SaaS offerings.
- Vet Your Shortlisted Candidates – Evaluate the innovation potential and quality of service delivery in prospective vendors with referral customers — these being the two dimensions where vendors have scored the poorest in customer review. Scrutinize vendors' product road maps (e.g., in analytics and cloud) and their plans for scaling up the solution, where needed.
IDC MarketScape criteria selection, weightings, and vendor scores represent well-researched IDC judgment about the market and specific vendors. IDC analysts tailor the range of standard characteristics by which vendors are measured through structured discussions, surveys, and interviews with market leaders, participants and end users. Market weightings are based on user interviews, buyer surveys, and the input of a review board of IDC experts in each market. IDC analysts base individual vendor scores, and ultimately vendor positions within the IDC MarketScape, on detailed surveys and interviews with the vendors, publicly available information, and end-user experiences in an effort to provide an accurate and consistent assessment of each vendor's characteristics, behavior, and capability.
For additional information about this report or to arrange a one-on-one briefing with Jean-François Segalotto, please contact Sarah Murray at 781-378-2674 or firstname.lastname@example.org . Reports are available to qualified members of the media. For information on purchasing reports, contact email@example.com ; reporters should email firstname.lastname@example.org .
About IDC MarketScape
IDC MarketScape vendor analysis model is designed to provide an overview of the competitive fitness of IT, telecommunications, or industry-specific suppliers in a given market. The research methodology utilizes a rigorous scoring methodology based on both qualitative and quantitative criteria that results in a single graphical illustration of each vendor's position within a given market. IDC MarketScape provides a clear framework in which the product and service offerings, capabilities and strategies, and current and future market success factors of IT, telecommunications, or industry-specific vendors can be meaningfully compared. The framework also provides technology buyers with a transparent foundation to allow companies to independently compare the strengths and weaknesses of current and prospective vendors.
About IDC Energy Insights
IDC Energy Insights assists energy businesses and IT leaders, as well as the suppliers who serve them, in making more effective technology decisions by providing accurate, timely, and insightful fact-based research and consulting services. Staffed by senior analysts with decades of industry experience, our global research analyzes and advises on business and technology issues facing the utility and oil and gas industries. International Data Corporation (IDC ) is the premier global provider of market intelligence, advisory services, and events for the information technology market. IDC is a subsidiary of IDG , the world's leading technology, media, research, and events company. For more information, please visit www.i d c.com/energy , email email@example.com , or call 508-935-4400. Visit the IDC Energy Insights Community at http://idc-community.com/energy .
ROBOTRON, Oracle Corporation, Energyworx BV, AMT-SYBEX LIMITED, Siemens AG, Ferranti Computer Systems, ENORO HOLDING AS, Landis+Gyr AG, Engineering Ingegneria Informatica s.p.a., Itron, Inc., Elster Group GmbH, CGI Group Inc.
ContactFor more information, contact: