High-End Color Laser Devices (45 ppm+) Continue to Show Strong Year-over-Year Growth in the Fourth Quarter of 2015, According to IDC
09 Mar 2016
FRAMINGHAM, Mass., March 9, 2016 – According to the International Data Corporation (IDC) Worldwide Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals Tracker, the overall worldwide hardcopy peripherals (HCP) market decreased 10.8% year over year to 27.58 million units in the fourth quarter of 2015 (4Q15). High-end color laser devices (45 ppm+) continued to gain year-over-year momentum in 4Q15 with shipments growing to 182 thousand units. Inkjet experienced a decline of 9.6% year over year and the laser market saw a year-over-year decline of 13.7%. Consumers are still purchasing inkjet devices in the millions per quarter, but the overall trend is negative.
Notable highlights from the fourth quarter of 2015 include:
- The contractual trend continues to grow year over year in the fourth quarter of 2015 with more than 1.6 million units being shipped for managed print services.
- Epson outperformed all other vendors in the top 5 in the fourth quarter with approximately 4.9 million units shipped, flat from last year. The vendor’s L series remains strong despite now having competition from all other major vendors. Epson also enjoyed year-over-year growth in the business inkjet segment with its large ink tanks.
- The Canadian HCP market grew 7.2% year over year to 2.7 million units shipped. Both inkjet and laser markets experienced year-over-year growth of 1.7% and 5.5%, respectively. The top three laser vendors (Brother, HP, Samsung) all showed positive growth in the quarter. Brother moved a great deal of product for back to school in the third quarter with remaining stock being sold off at Cyber Monday sales. Samsung grew through large Boxing Day promotions at Best Buy and Staples.
Worldwide Hardcopy Peripherals Shipments, Market Share, and Year-Over-Year Growth, 2015
2015 Unit Shipment
2015 Market Share
2014 Unit Shipment
2014 Market Share
1. HP Inc
Source: IDC Worldwide Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals Tracker, March 9, 2016
This chart is intended for public use in online news articles and social media. Instructions on how to embed this graphic are available by clicking here.
- IDC tracks A2-A4 devices in the Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals
- Hardcopy Peripherals include single-function printers, multifunctional systems (MFPs), and single-function digital copiers (SF DC). Data for all vendors are reported for calendar periods.
For more information about IDC's Worldwide Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals Tracker, please contact Phuong Hang (email@example.com).
About IDC Trackers
IDC Tracker products provide accurate and timely market size, vendor share, and forecasts for hundreds of technology markets from more than 100 countries around the globe. Using proprietary tools and research processes, IDC's Trackers are updated on a semiannual, quarterly, and monthly basis. Tracker results are delivered to clients in user-friendly excel deliverables and on-line query tools. The IDC Tracker Charts app allows users to view data charts from the most recent IDC Tracker products on their iPhone and iPad. The IDC Tracker Chart app is also available for Android Phones and Android Tablets.
International Data Corporation (IDC) is the premier global provider of market intelligence, advisory services, and events for the information technology, telecommunications, and consumer technology markets. With more than 1,100 analysts worldwide, IDC offers global, regional, and local expertise on technology and industry opportunities and trends in over 110 countries. IDC's analysis and insight helps IT professionals, business executives, and the investment community to make fact-based technology decisions and to achieve their key business objectives. Founded in 1964, IDC is a subsidiary of IDG, the world's leading technology media, research, and events company. To learn more about IDC, please visit www.idc.com. Follow IDC on Twitter at @IDC.
ContactFor more information, contact: