Dell & AOC See Solid Year-Over-Year Growth in Worldwide PC Monitor Market in First Quarter of 2016, According to IDC
21 Jun 2016
FRAMINGHAM, Mass, June 21, 2016 – The total worldwide PC monitor market shipped more than 29 million units in the first quarter of 2016 (1Q16), up 0.5% year over year but a decrease of 5.7% compared to the previous quarter, according to the International Data Corporation (IDC) Worldwide Quarterly PC Monitor Tracker.
"IDC expects the global monitor market will continue to decline at rates around 3% year over year from 2018 through 2020. However, there should be some pockets of growth along the way, as illustrated by the Middle East & Africa region, which experienced its second sequential gain in a row, recording 3.8% quarter-over-quarter growth in 1Q16," said Maura Fitzgerald, senior research analyst, Worldwide Trackers.
IDC currently forecasts 114 million PC monitor units will be shipped for full year 2016 and expects to see a year-over-year decline of 7.4% in worldwide shipments to 27.1 million units in the first quarter of 2017. By 2020, worldwide shipments are expected to be less than 100 million units as the adoption of mobile devices at lower price points is expected to continue.
- The presence of Curved monitors is on the rise, with 1.2% market share in 1Q16. This represents year-over-year growth of 495%.
- Of the top 10 screen sizes, 23.8-inches wide and 31.5-inches wide saw the largest year-over-year growth, posting 91.4% and 183.2%, respectively, in 1Q16.
- Monitors with TV tuners are expected to grow 1.3% year-over-year to 5.7% market share in 2017, up from 5.1% in 2015, led by LG and Samsung with a combined market share of 99.0% in this category.
- Dell – Dell stayed in the top position in 1Q16 with worldwide market share of 16.8% on shipments of over 4.9 million units. The vendor posted strong year-over-year growth in Central & Eastern Europe (56.4%) and Canada (20.6%).
- HP – HP saw 3.4 million units shipped, resulting in 11.7% share in 1Q16. Year-over-year unit increases of 15.1% in USA and 7.3% in Western Europe helped bring the vendor a total year-over-year increase of 1.6%.
- Samsung – Samsung weakened its top 3 position with a year-over-year decline of 13.9% to 3.2 million units shipped. While the vendor showed year-over-year declines across all regions, they did see significant year-over-year growth in the 31.5-inches wide and 27-inches wide segments.
- LG –LG continued to rank number four with nearly 3 million units shipped. The vendor witnessed year-over-year gains in all regions except Central & Eastern Europe, and Latin America.
- AOC – AOC rounded out the Top 5 in 1Q16 with 8.8% market share in the worldwide market. The vendor logged huge year-over-year gains in Central & Eastern Europe, Japan, Middle East & Africa, USA, and Western Europe.
Worldwide PC Monitor Unit Shipments, Market Share, and Year-over-Year Growth, First Quarter 2016
1Q16 Unit Shipments
1Q16 Market Share
1Q15 Unit Shipments
1Q15 Market Share
2. HP Inc.
4. LG Electronics
Source: IDC Worldwide Quarterly PC Monitor Tracker, June 2016
This chart is intended for public use in online news articles and social media. Instructions on how to embed this graphic are available by clicking here.
About IDC Trackers
IDC Tracker products provide accurate and timely market size, vendor share, and forecasts for hundreds of technology markets from more than 100 countries around the globe. Using proprietary tools and research processes, IDC's Trackers are updated on a semiannual, quarterly, and monthly basis. Tracker results are delivered to clients in user-friendly excel deliverables and on-line query tools. The IDC Tracker Charts app allows users to view data charts from the most recent IDC Tracker products on their iPhone and iPad. The IDC Tracker Chart app is also available for Android Phones and Android Tablets.
International Data Corporation (IDC) is the premier global provider of market intelligence, advisory services, and events for the information technology, telecommunications, and consumer technology markets. With more than 1,100 analysts worldwide, IDC offers global, regional, and local expertise on technology and industry opportunities and trends in over 110 countries. IDC's analysis and insight helps IT professionals, business executives, and the investment community to make fact-based technology decisions and to achieve their key business objectives. Founded in 1964, IDC is a subsidiary of IDG, the world's leading technology media, research, and events company. To learn more about IDC, please visit www.idc.com. Follow IDC on Twitter at @IDC.
ContactFor more information, contact: