IDC's Storage Systems service delivers detailed analysis of vendor performance and industry trends, as well as the anticipated rate of adoption of new technology and its impact on existing markets and vendor alliances, strategic initiatives, and new product introductions. IDC's Storage Systems service encompasses disk and flash/SSD-based storage systems, storage area networks (SANs), and storage virtualization.
- Enterprise, midrange, and entry hybrid (HDD/flash) and all-flash storage systems
- Impact of converged and hyperconverged systems on storage suppliers and users
- Hyperconverged all-flash and hybrid flash–based systems
- Fibre Channel, Fibre Channel over Ethernet (FCoE), InfiniBand, iSCSI SANs, direct-attached storage (DAS), and switched SAS
- Quarterly summary analysis of IDC's Storage Systems Tracker results
- Adoption of storage tiering and storage efficiency technologies
- Ongoing summary analysis of IDC's Storage User Demand Study
- Significant product announcements and analysis
- Event coverage (e.g., acquisitions) and impact analysis
- Trends such as the use of nearline and archival disk storage as part of a data management and retention strategy
- Worldwide Storage Systems Forecast and Analysis
- Worldwide Storage Systems Vendor Shares
- Vendor Profiles, Case Studies, Demand-Side Viewpoints, and End-User Insights
- Market Analysis Presentation for the Enterprise Storage Systems Market
- Quarterly Storage Systems Market Results
- Qualitative Insights and Technology Assessments
In addition to the insight provided in this service, IDC may conduct research on specific topics or emerging market segments via research offerings that require additional IDC funding and client investment.
- What products are competitors introducing, and what impact will this have in their markets?
- How is the mix of information storage by organizations changing, and how will this affect the types of storage solutions they require?
- What is the growth for flash- and SSD-based solutions, and what are the implications for vendors and end users?
- How will technologies such as 10Gbps Ethernet, InfiniBand, and FCoE affect existing SAN and NAS products?
- What are the regional differences in buying behavior?
- How will the use of converged and hyperconverged systems change the storage landscape?
- How does the use of storage efficiency affect end-user behavior?
Research Director, Storage
Research Director, Storage Software