IDC Tracker® + Data Products
Worldwide Quarterly Server Virtualization Tracker
As the adoption of virtualization software continues to remake customer environments and businesses as well as alter customer buying preferences, hardware needs, and key partners, IDC's Worldwide Quarterly Server Virtualization Tracker® provides clients with the detailed information necessary for navigating this evolving landscape. IDC's Worldwide Quarterly Server Virtualization Tracker products provide reliable, accurate, and independent market data that serves as a foundation for creating quantitative market analyses and studying historical trends. IDC's Worldwide Quarterly Server Virtualization Tracker consists of independent, unbiased data, updated quarterly.
Technology Coverage and Data Segmentation
This tracker provides total market size and vendor share for the following technology areas and segmentations. Measurement for this tracker is in new server shipments virtualized, virtualization licenses, virtualization software revenue, virtualized server end-user spending, and rate of virtualization.
Technologies and subtechnologies:
- CPU type: x86, RISC, EPIC, CISC
- x86 server socket capability: 1, 2+, 4+, 8+, 16+
- x86 server rack factors: Blade, rack optimized, tower, density optimized
- Primary guest OS: Windows, Linux, Unix, z/OS, and others
- Server vendors: Cisco, Dell, Fujitsu, Hitachi, HP, IBM, Lenovo, NEC, Oracle, SGI, Sun Microsystems, and others
- Virtualization vendors: Citrix, Microsoft, Oracle, Parallels, Red Hat, VMware, and others
- Virtual machine density
- Server instances
- New server shipments virtualized
- Virtualization hosts
- Rate of virtualization (%)
- Virtualization platform: APV, Containers, Hyper-V, IVM, LDOM, nPar, Open Source Xen, Oracle VM, other KVM, Red Hat KVM, Virtual Iron Enterprise, Virtual Server 2005, Virtuozzo, VMware ESX, VMware Server, vPar, vSphere Hypervisor, XenServer, zVMv, and others
- Asia/Pacific (excluding Japan) available by 13 countries
- Central/Eastern Europe
- Latin America
- Middle East/Africa
- United States
- Western Europe
This tracker is delivered on a quarterly basis via Excel pivot tables. For a complete delivery schedule, please contact an IDC sales representative. Deliverables for this tracker are:
- Historical data delivered in week 12 after the quarter ends
- With the purchase of IDC's Worldwide Quarterly Server Virtualization Tracker, clients receive trend explanations and detailed insights, one day of onsite training at any location in the United States, and inquiry time for supporting questions regarding data usage.
- Written analyses, trend explanations, and insights are further provided in research from IDC's Enterprise Servers: Technology Markets and Datacenter Trends and Strategies continuous intelligence services (CISs).