IDC Tracker® + Data Products
Worldwide Quarterly Enterprise Client Device Tracker
IDC's Worldwide Quarterly Enterprise Client Device Tracker® monitors the worldwide quarterly shipment totals of thin clients and terminal clients. Thin clients are diskless desktop devices that exist only on a network, using a server to download applications and store data. Most traditional thin clients run a local embedded operating system. A growing number of new devices are shipping with no local OS, and we categorize this type of device, often referred to as a "zero client," as a thin client without OS. Thin client devices are often used as part of a client virtualization deployment in companies and institutions of all sizes. Terminal clients are devices without a CPU or an operating system that connect to a PC running a multiuser operating system (such as Microsoft Windows MultiPoint Server 2010).
This tracker provides total market size and vendor share for the following technology areas. Measurements for this tracker are in unit shipments and factory revenue.
- Enterprise Thin Clients: Standalone, Mobile, with LCD, with CRT
- Terminal Client Devices: Standalone, with LCD
- Channel Group: Direct and Indirect
- Operating System
Optional Content Add-Ons
- Commercial Segment (Vertical)
- Asia/Pacific (excluding Japan) (available by 13 countries)
- Central and Eastern Europe (available by 4 countries)
- Latin America (available by 3 countries)
- Middle East and Africa (available by 4 countries)
- United States
- Western Europe (available by 16 countries)
Forecasts for this tracker are updated quarterly and include three years of historical data and two years of quarterly forecasts, plus an additional three years of market projections. Forecasts are available at the worldwide, regional, and country levels. Details of the forecasts included in this tracker are provided below.
Core Forecast Coverage
- Thin Client Forecast by Standalone, Mobile, with LCD
- Thin Client Forecast by Operating System
- Terminal Client Forecast
Optional Forecast Add-Ons
- Channel Group (Direct Versus Indirect)
This service is delivered on a quarterly basis via a Web-based query tool. Deliverables for this tracker are listed below. For a complete delivery schedule, please contact an IDC sales representative.
- Historical data
- Forecast data