To view this email as a web page, click here.
TABLET HAVING MINIMAL IMPACT ON PC SHIPMENTS ACCORDING TO IDC CANADA
- Feb 15, 2011 -
Top 5 Canadian PC Vendors Market Shares and Shipment Growth, Q4-10
- The overall Canadian Client PC market continued to experience positive growth, with unit shipments up 5.6% over Q4 2009. Total shipments for Q4 2010 reached 1,807,034 units. Canada fared slightly better in Q4 2010 than the overall worldwide growth of 3.4% YoY. Growth rates for worldwide shipments by form factor were 4.3% for portables and 2.2% for desktops.
- While 2010 was a year marked by rapidly changing dynamics, new product offerings, and a still cautious economic climate, the overall Canadian Client PC market grew by 12.7% over 2009.
- Portable PC market performance was slightly better than forecasted, growing 2.9% YoY on 1,196,342 units in the fourth quarter. Desktop PC shipments came in lower than expected, with 610,692 units in total for the quarter and up 11.4% over the same period last year.
- HP built on its lead position in the overall Canadian Client PC market with a 28.2% unit share, gaining from a share of 27.6% in Q3 2010. Acer maintained second place overall with 19.1% share of total PC shipments. Dell rounded out the top three with a 14.1% overall share.
- The Mini Notebook product category has continued its rapid descent. In Q4 2009 Mini Notebooks accounted for just over 24% of portable shipments, by Q4 2010 that number has dropped to just 8% of portable shipments. The almost 25% annual decline in average selling values has not helped to slow the dwindling unit volume of mini notebook shipments.
Source: IDC Canada Feb 2011
QUOTES ATTRIBUTABLE TO TIM BRUNT, SENIOR ANALYST PERSONAL COMPUTING, IDC CANADA
- The increase in the "consumerization" of traditional commercial channels is notable and represents a significant shift in the purchasing behavior of Canadian business to the retail channel which accounts for 50% of PC client shipments.
- Due to the shift of more businesses buying through retail channels and more consumer designed products the market saw an almost 10% reduction in the average selling value of the PC's purchased by commercial clients.
- While Media Tablets are reaping a lot of attention their impact on the PC shipments has thus far been negligible.
Please contact Joanne Haywood to arrange an interview and/or for additional quotes.
International Data Corporation (IDC) is the premier global provider of market intelligence, advisory services, and events for the information technology, telecommunications, and consumer technology markets. IDC helps IT professionals, business executives, and the investment community to make fact-based decisions on technology purchases and business strategy. More than 1,000 IDC analysts provide global, regional, and local expertise on technology and industry opportunities and trends in over 110 countries. For more than 46 years, IDC has provided strategic insights to help our clients achieve their key business objectives. IDC is a subsidiary of IDG, the world's leading technology media, research, and events company. You can learn more about IDC by visiting www.idc.com
|This email was sent by: %%Member_Busname%%|
%%Member_Addr%% %%Member_City%%, %%Member_State%%, %%Member_PostalCode%%, %%Member_Country%%
We respect your right to privacy - click here
%%emailaddr%% to view our policy.