IDC engaged with 22 of the largest commercial printers (CPs) in Southeast Asia. The survey aims to analyze the current playing field of the CP market, understanding the thought process, evaluation, and criteria of CPs in their purchase decision-making process. This IDC Market Analysis Perspective (MAP) also provides advice for vendors on how to sell in the current market effectively.
Key takeaways include:
- Sizing up the print market to understand the Southeast Asia print market
- Providing vendor-side and buyer-side trends for CPs
- Understanding CPs' needs and requirements and why they adopt certain types of machines
- Doing a SWOT analysis on digital production printers and offset machines
- Going into a deep dive of CPs' thought process in decision making for machine purchase
Recommended actions are:
- Commitment is what CPs value most. Forecasting supply and parts is very important, which vendors should do for CPs.
- Educating CPs is important as well. Adopting new technology takes time to learn, understand, and run the process. Educating end users encourages CPs to trust and work with vendors.
- The price of consumables, such as how much ink costs, is important for a CP to know in order to quote a price to their end user. It would be better that both the offset and digital supplier would guarantee ink price every year.
- Workflow solutions, which are implemented together with production printers, improve the digital print environment by providing faster response to cut waiting time and lag of services between suppliers and customers.
- Sustainability and the ability to develop products with a sustainable concept are important. The negative impact of single-use packaging and disposability on the environment will eventually phase out.
Asia/Pacific Next-Generation Imaging, Printing and Document Solutions
Xerox Corporation, Seiko Epson Corp., Ryobi Limited, Ricoh Company, Ltd., Konica Minolta Holdings, Inc., Mitsubishi Corporation, MONOTECH SYSTEMS LIMITED, HP Inc., Heidelberger Druckmaschinen AG, Hanway Associates Ltd, manroland AG, Komori Corporation, Nilpeter, Oce N.V.