The IDC European Vertical Markets Survey is a landmark study of IT solutions, investment priorities, and emerging technologies in over 80% of the Western European economy.
The survey covers areas such as:
- Key business priorities, the role of line-of-business (LOB) managers in IT decisions, IT budget direction, channel selection, and an assessment of the major technology suppliers supporting digital transformation
- Short-term investment plans for traditional technologies spanning hardware, software, IT and business services, and telecom services, as well as security priorities and a wide range of industry-specific solutions
- Current adoption and future deployment plans for the four pillars of IDC's 3rd Platform — cloud, mobile solutions, social, and Big Data
- A detailed analysis of implementation plans and use cases for the Internet of Things (IoT)
- An initial assessment of the major enablers of digital transformation, including familiarity, adoption, and future deployment plans for a range of Innovation Accelerators, including the IoT, cognitive systems, robotics, 3D printing, and natural interface
This study analyzes the survey results for the government industry in the U.K. to help IT suppliers as well as solution, marketing, and sales executives better align their offerings and go-to-market approach with the needs of IT and business executives in central and local governments:
- The majority of U.K. local government IT budgets are tied to keeping the lights on. National government IT executives expect to spend more on upgrades and innovation.
- Security and data protection tops the list of business priorities driving IT investment. Local governments have a strong focus on integrated access to data and improving citizen experience. National governments are keen on partnership and compliance.
- Local government IT executives have invested more in private cloud, while national governments are more into public and hybrid cloud.
- Local government executives are investing more aggressively in Big Data and analytics than their national counterparts. Increased operational efficiency and personalization of services are the top 2 use cases.
IDC Government Insights: European Government Digital Transformation Strategies
Big Data analytics and discovery,
Global IT and economic markets,
Governance, risk and compliance infrastructure,
IT maintenance and support,
IT operations and implementation,
IT planning and design,
Information protection and control,
Internet of things,
Intrusion detection and prevention,