This IDC Presentation analyzes data from the IDC Energy Insights IT and Operational Technology (OT) Integration 2018 Survey, looking specifically at the European utilities industry. This is a landmark study of utilities' attitude toward IT/OT integration, their organizational maturity, governance model for IT and OT functions, budgets, and investment priorities. It covers electricity, gas, and water utilities across two North American and eight European countries (France, Germany, Italy, the Nordics — comprising Denmark, Norway, and Sweden — the Netherlands, and the U.K.). It is based on 231 interviews carried out between April and June 2018 (131 of which were carried out in Europe).
The survey covers areas such as:
- The level of operational equipment automation and connection, including the communications technology used
- Current adoption of IT and OT integration initiatives and main objectives, drivers, and barriers to further IT-OT integration
- Current and expected IT and OT governance models, leadership structure, and funding of projects involving IT and OT systems. IT and OT systems support practices and collaboration between technology functions
- Governance, drivers, and barriers of IT and OT security
- Technology investment themes, including OT security budget trends