TECH SUPPLIER Jun 2019 - IDC Survey - Doc # EUR144675219
IoT: IT/OT Convergence in Europe
The presentation analyzes data from IDC’s 2018 Information Technology (IT) and Operational Technology (OT) Convergence Survey. It focuses on IT/OT convergence trends among organizations in Europe, taking a detailed look at the role of the Internet of Things (IoT).
This landmark IDC study explores organizations’ attitudes toward convergence, governance models for IT and OT functions, security initiatives, and investment priorities. The survey, carried out between April and June 2018, involved 255 organizations from the manufacturing, utilities, and mining sectors across nine European countries (France, Germany, Italy, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, the Netherlands, the U.K., and Russia).
The presentation covers:
- Current approaches to IT and OT integration initiatives and the main drivers and barriers to convergence
- Current and expected IT and OT governance models and organizational leadership structures
- IT and OT systems support practices and collaboration between technology functions
- Governance structures and investment drivers related to securing IT and OT systems
- Technology investment themes around IT/OT convergence, including edge computing
- Examples of new vendor partnerships created to provide end-to-end solutions
"The Internet of Things plays a critical role in enabling organizations to have converged IT and OT. IoT adoption is driving the creation of connected operations that are digitally aligned with physical process execution. The number of organizational IT/OT integration initiatives is expanding, in line with the spread of connected operational assets." — Program Manager Milan Kalal, IDC Europe