The global competitive marketplace forces manufacturers to reassess their strategies, processes, and tools. Manufacturing leaders today are challenged to move their enterprises to the next level, that of digital business transformation and revolution, coupling digital technologies with organizational, operational, and business model innovation to create new ways of operating and growing businesses. The focus is on operational excellence, business reinvention, customer service, and trust and compliance, and how to support this area with information technology (IT) investments is of great concern. IDC Manufacturing Insights expects comprehensive projects in this area to move up the priority list and draw substantial investment over the next few years. IDC Manufacturing Insights’ Smart Manufacturing Strategies advisory service examines key challenges facing manufacturing companies, such as achieving operational excellence, enabling global manufacturing intelligence, and assuring production quality. This service provides fact-based research on IT tools, strategies, and best practices in manufacturing operations management (MOM) to meet business challenges, covering the entire spectrum of operational processes from digital factory and production scheduling through manufacturing execution and plant automation to asset management and plant sustainability.
This advisory service develops unique analysis and comprehensive data through IDC Manufacturing Insights’ proprietary research projects, along with ongoing communications with industry experts, manufacturing executives and practitioners, and product or service vendors. To ensure relevance, our analysts work with clients to identify and prioritize topics to be covered in research reports. Our analysts are also available to provide individualized advice for manufacturing executives and vendors to help them make better informed decisions.
Throughout the year, this service will address the following topics:
- Designing the plant of the future: Strategies, processes, and IT tools
- Importance and challenges of real-time manufacturing execution
- Selecting the right plant floor IT application: Manufacturing execution systems (MESs), manufacturing operations management, enterprise manufacturing intelligence (EMI), and enterprise assets management (EAM)
- Connecting product design and manufacturing operations
- Planning for the transformation journey (evolution or revolution)
Key Questions Answered
Our research addresses the following issues that are critical to your success:
- What’s the importance of achieving operational excellence in the global economy?
- What are the innovating, manufacturing strategies employed by best-in-class manufacturers, and how do they align with business challenges?
- What are the benefits of greater manufacturing intelligence, and how does it improve decision making?
- What is the role of plant floor IT to support the factory of the future?
- How to align plant floor IT strategy to the organization’s strategic goals?
- How to evaluate your transformation journey?
Who Should Subscribe
IDC Manufacturing Insights’ Smart Manufacturing Strategies advisory service is ideally suited for line-of-business managers responsible for operations management methodologies, processes, and systems and for IT executives who support these activities, as well as for supply chain executives, operations directors, and plant directors and managers. This service is valuable in gaining additional insight into the needs and investment trends in plant floor–level information technologies as there are over 400,000 plants on a global scale to consider.