IDC's Europe, Middle East and Africa Quarterly Mobile Phone Tracker® provides a unique insight into the forces shaping the handset and smartphone markets in Western Europe, Central and Eastern Europe, and the Middle East and Africa. The smartphone market is growing rapidly across the region, but while it already takes the lion's share of mobile phone sales in more developed markets, in poorer countries and where mobile operators do not subsidize phone purchases on usage contracts feature phones still take the majority of sales in units sold. This tracker service will quantify for clients the trends impacting the mobile phone market, and on a quarterly basis provides vendor shares, technology trends, and a host of technical breakouts that help vendors and industry players define strategies for tracking the wireless devices market.
This tracker provides total market size and vendor share for the following technology areas. Measurement for this tracker is in units, average selling price, and market value.
- By air interface, network, platform, operating system, and form factor
- By display type, screen size, processor cores, processor vendor, camera type, technology (GPS, video and music players, WiFi Java, Bluetooth, etc.), hard drive, memory cards, etc.
- By input mechanism: touchscreen, QWERTY, compressed QWERTY, alphanumeric, etc.
- Feature phones, smartphones
- Price bands
- Market volumes and value
- Vendor share by country, technologies, and subtechnologies
- By user segment group (consumer/commercial), segment (education, government, small office, small business, medium business, large business, very large business) and channels
- Installed base by device type and country
- Western Europe Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the U.K.
- Central and Eastern Europe: Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Hungary, Kazakhstan, Poland, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Slovakia, Ukraine, and Rest of Central and Eastern Europe
- Middle East and Africa: Algeria, Bahrain, Egypt, Ghana, Israel, Kenya, Kuwait, Morocco, Nigeria, Oman, Pakistan, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Tanzania, Tunisia, Turkey, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, Rest of Middle East and Rest of Africa
For many of the countries listed the tracker includes nine years of historical data. Forecasts for this tracker are updated quarterly and include nine years of historical data, two years of quarterly forecasts, and an additional three years of annual market projections. Forecasts are available at the regional and country levels. Examples of the forecasts included in this tracker are as follows:
Core Forecast Coverage
- Quarterly market sizing and forecasts by country by device type, air interface, operating system, and air interface by operating system
- Forecast by average selling price (ASP) and price bands
- Forecast by user segment group (consumer/commercial), segment (education, government, small office, small business, medium business, large business, very large business) and channels
- Forecast by screen size
- Installed base
This tracker is delivered on a quarterly basis with tools such as pivot tables, web-based query, and PowerPoint presentations. For a complete delivery schedule please contact an IDC sales representative.
- Preliminary top 10
- Final data
- Forecast data
- Qualitative analysis
IDC's Tracker Methodology
IDC's tracker data is developed using a rigorous methodology that includes well-planned and well-coordinated local, regional, and worldwide data cross-checks combined with a proprietary advanced data consolidation and analysis data platform managed by IDC's Worldwide Tracker organization. Data sources used in the process of determining IDC's tracker numbers include, but are not limited to:
- In-country local vendor interviews
- Distribution data feeds
- Worldwide and regional vendor guidance
- ODM data
- In-country local channel partner discussions
- Import records
- Feedback from component suppliers
- Vendor briefings and public financial reports