The impact of digital in retail is everywhere — from disruptive competitors to the shift to online, mobile, conversational commerce, and changing consumption models. IDC believes that traditional retail economies of scale and purchase are supplemented by powerful ecosystem networks augmented in the digital world. Where there was competition yesterday there will be collaboration tomorrow, and retailers need an innovation platform today to enable it. This means creating a technology platform for innovation and an innovation platform for the organization. At the same time, customer experience is the focal point of a new way of doing business for retailers, with an individualized value proposition at the core, merging physical and digital experiences. Individual personalization is fundamental to driving the paradigm shift, where recurring clients become high spenders and passive shoppers become active customers, as retailers create commerce everywhere. The IDC Retail Insights: Worldwide Retail Customer Experience and Commerce Strategies advisory service examines best practices, trends, use cases, market forces and challenges, and underlying technologies that directly impact a retailer's ability to provide frictionless consumer stream-of-life experiences. The program tracks and analyzes the key trends of retail innovation, retail commerce platforms, and retail customer experience (B2C).
The service collects relevant global market data through in-depth interviews and primary research with retail IT executives, store and line-of-business (LOB) executives, technology vendors, and consumers, complemented by secondary research from conferences, industry and technology associations, and third-party news sources. IDC Retail Insights' analysts develop unique and comprehensive analyses of this data that is focused on providing actionable recommendations to retailers and the technology vendors they work with.
Throughout the year, this service will address the following topics:
- Retail customer experience personalization
- Retail commerce platform – the digital platform for retail to enable omni-channel profits and longer-term retail innovation
- Innovation in retail – current state, maturity, and future directions
- eCommerce trends and marketplaces
- Disruptive technologies applied to retail such as AI, AR/VR, IoT, and blockchain
- Digital journey mapping
- Digital merchandizing, marketing, advertising, and content optimization technology and strategies
- Industry short lists and vendor assessments for key solution areas (e.g., retail commerce platform, ecommerce, and mobile)
Key Questions Answered
Our research addresses the following issues that are critical to your success:
- What is the state of innovation in the retail industry?
- What are the challenges that retailers are facing today to drive omni-channel digital transformation?
- What are the key factors for omni-channel profitability?
- How do retailers transform the IT organization to be more flexible and efficient?
- Why is the platform essential to address short-term omni-channel business requirements and enable innovation?
- What kind of approach should retailers adopt in terms of customer experience personalization?
- What are the fundamental changes needed to adapt retailers' capabilities to the third generation of ecommerce?
- How will the physical store be successful in a world of digital?
Who Should Subscribe
The IDC Retail Insights: Worldwide Retail Customer Experience and Commerce Strategies service is ideally suited to support the needs of retail and IT decision makers and executives responsible for supporting all aspects of the customer selling process. Retail IT and operations management and commerce technology suppliers will also benefit from this service.