One of the notable implications of the trends toward SaaS, socialytics, mobility, and Big Data is that the entire Canadian software industry is facing a major transformation that will affect all members of the software ecosystem. It will be critical for the survival of all players within the broader technology sector to be aware of not only how fast the software market is evolving but how the different players are responding to and are affected by that transformation.
IDC's Canadian Semiannual Software Tracker® monitors vendors' business performances during this transition by tracking those that are gaining and losing share across the Canadian software landscape. The goal of this tracker is to enable key industry stakeholders to benchmark the performance of individual players in the market and make tactical competitive decisions specific to the Canadian market dynamic.
This tracker provides total market size and vendor share for the following technology areas. Measurement for this tracker is vendor revenue attributable to packaged software, which includes license, maintenance, SaaS, and other subscription revenue earned by each vendor tracked.
As per IDC's software taxonomy, IDC tracks vendors' revenue performance across 18 secondary markets (as currently listed below) that group 80+ functional software markets. IDC updates its taxonomy annually, and thus the markets covered may change over the course of the year.
- Application software (collaborative, content, customer relationship management, engineering, enterprise resource management, operations and manufacturing, and supply chain management software)
- Application development and development software (application development, application platforms, data access and analysis, integration and orchestration middleware, quality life-cycle tools, and structure data management software)
- System infrastructure software (network, security, storage, system management, and system software)
Optional Content Add-Ons:
- IDC Canada can also provide visibility into the proportion of vendors' revenue coming from public cloud services offerings versus on-premise software deployment solutions.
- IDC Canada can also prepare semiannual executive presentations to facilitate the understanding of the key trends, drivers, and implications of vendor performances on the Canadian landscape.
Forecasts for this tracker are provided at the functional market level and are updated semiannually and include two years of historical data and five years of annual market projections.
This tracker is delivered on a semiannual basis via the IDC's Tracker Query Tool. Deliverables for this tracker are listed below. For a more detailed delivery schedule, please contact an IDC sales representative. Deliverables for this tracker are:
- Half-year vendor shares by software market, in Canada
- Annual five-year forecasts by software market, for Canada
IDC's Tracker Methodology
IDC's tracker data is developed using a rigorous methodology that includes well-planned and well-coordinated local, regional, and worldwide data cross-checks combined with a proprietary advanced data consolidation and analysis data platform managed by IDC's Worldwide Tracker organization. Data sources used in the process of determining IDC's tracker numbers include, but are not limited to:
- In-country local vendor interviews
- Distribution data feeds
- Worldwide and regional vendor guidance
- ODM data
- In-country local channel partner discussions
- Import records
- Feedback from component suppliers
- Vendor briefings and public financial reports