The connected vehicle represents a complicated ecosystem of manufacturers, mobile operators, content providers, and service providers. It represents an increasingly popular mobile device and will leverage current and next-generation networks, both wireless and local, to provide connectivity, allowing content and services to be delivered to the dashboard while also providing a feedback loop to auto manufacturers, dealers, and consumers about vehicle performance. Connected Vehicle Business Opportunities provides an in-depth analysis of the connectivity landscape, network development for semiautonomous/autonomous vehicles, and the dashboard and application development ecosystem. This service also highlights emerging technology vendors focused on connected vehicle solutions and provides a connected vehicle taxonomy and connected vehicle forecast.
Connected Vehicle Business Opportunities
Markets and Subjects Analyzed
- Connectivity/mobile operator landscape
- Network requirements for semiautonomous/autonomous vehicles
- Battle for the dashboard experience
- Infotainment services in the connected car
- Application development ecosystem for the connected car
- Emerging vendors creating technology and solutions for the connected car
- Worldwide Connected Car Ecosystem Taxonomy
- IDC FutureScape: Worldwide Connected Vehicle 2018 Predictions
- Worldwide Connected Car Forecast 2017–2021
- Vendor Ecosystem Overview
- Consumer Vehicle OS and Application Analysis
- Connected Vehicle Market Spotlight
In addition to the insight provided in this service, IDC may conduct research on specific topics or emerging market segments via research offerings that require additional IDC funding and client investment.
Key Questions Answered
- How many connected cars will be sold in 2021? How many will be connected?
- What are the network requirements for the connected car and semiautonomous/autonomous cars?
- What is the preferred distribution channel for consumer and enterprise users of connected vehicle services?
- What regulatory issues are presented by the introduction of connected vehicle services, and how will service providers navigate?
- What is the value chain for connected vehicle solutions? What vendors are involved, and where do they add value?
- What types of applications are being developed for the connected car? How will this application developer ecosystem evolve?
- Which operating system(s) will emerge as the dashboard interface?
- What emerging technology vendors are developing innovation solutions for the connected car?
- Within which emerging technologies does opportunity lie for automakers and solutions developers?
AT&T Inc., Alphabet Inc., Apple Inc., Blackberry Ltd., Deutsche Telekom AG, Ford Motor Company, General Motors Company, IBM, Intel Corporation, Microsoft Corporation, Oracle Corporation, QUALCOMM Inc., SAP SE, Sprint Corporation, Tesla Motors Inc., Toyota Motor Corporation, Verizon Communications, Inc.