IDC's Enabling Technologies: Mobile, PCs, and Tablets service provides strategic and tactical analysis for chip suppliers and OEMs in the client computing system markets. The mobile phone, PC, and tablet client ecosystem continue their respective transformations as all three segments consolidate and converge with one another. For mobile phones and tablets, this service offers market sizing and vendor share analysis for key chip segments in the application processor, cellular (2G, 3G, and 4G), and connectivity (WLAN, Bluetooth, and other connectivity) markets. Despite the tangible saturation and decline in PC and tablet volumes today, there are still areas of growth in emerging form factors in each client market, and this research will emphasize those segments.
Enabling Technologies: Mobile, PCs, and Tablets
Markets and Subjects Analyzed
- Worldwide client PC, tablet, and mobile phone semiconductor market size and forecast
- PC, tablet, and mobile phone microprocessor vendor market share by form factor, architecture, and supplier
- DRAM and NAND supply, demand, megabyte per system, and pricing trends for each client type
- Discrete graphics processing unit (GPU) market share by form factor for PCs
- Discrete and integrated baseband market share by form factor and cellular technology
- WLAN, Bluetooth, GPS, NFC, and other connectivity technologies
- Mobile phone and tablet BOM costs and chip pricing trends, forecasts, and analysis
- IDC Worldwide PC-Server-Phone-Tablet-eReader Microprocessor Market Share
- Worldwide PC Microprocessor Market Forecast
- Worldwide Mobile Phone Chipset and Connectivity Semiconductor Market Forecast
- Worldwide Tablet and eReader Application Processor Market Forecast
- Worldwide NAND and DRAM Flash Demand and Supply
In addition to the insight provided in this service, IDC may conduct research on specific topics or emerging market segments via research offerings that require additional IDC funding and client investment.
Key Questions Answered
- What are the fastest-growing semiconductor opportunities in the mobile phone and tablet semiconductor markets?
- How are Google, Facebook, Amazon, Microsoft, and other cloud service providers influencing processor vendors?
- Who are the semiconductor market share leaders in the PC, mobile phone, and tablet semiconductor markets, and who is best positioned for the future?
- What are the emerging trends in the PC, mobile phone, tablet, and connectivity markets, and how will suppliers engage as each ecosystem continues to converge?
- What are the trends in the baseband, application processor and RF front-end markets within the smartphone segment?
- How is the tablet 2-in-1 detachable market evolving as overall tablet sales continue to decline?
Advanced Micro Devices, Inc., Apple Inc., Broadcom Inc., GLOBALFOUNDRIES Inc., Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd., Intel Corporation, MediaTek Inc., Micron Technology, Inc., NVIDIA Corporation, Nanya Technology Corporation, QUALCOMM Inc., SK Holdings Co., Ltd. , SMIC, Samsung, Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co., Ltd., Toshiba Corporation, Tsinghua Holdings Co., Ltd., United Microelectronics Corporation, Western Digital Corporation