The future of workstyle (FOW) is a fundamental shift in the work model to one that fosters human-machine collaboration, enables new skills and worker experiences, and supports a work environment that is unbounded by time/physical space. IDC positions FOW as one of nine key practices to work on in realizing the future enterprise that covers a vast area spanning culture, space, and augmentation. In 2020, COVID-19 caused a major change in the workplace and in workstyles. A driver for this was the work-from-home (WFH) initiative. To enable workstyles centered on WFH, drastic changes such as crustal movements have occurred in the above three areas. For example, in culture, autonomous working styles were required, while tools that visualize how employees work at home have appeared. In space, various technologies related to remote access have been adopted and content sharing and collaboration tools have become widespread. In augmentation, automation using robotic process automation (RPA) and intellectual process automation (IPA) has accelerated. In 2022, IDC's Japan: Future of Workstyle - Leading with Space (Japanese Version with Key English Language Reports) will enter its fourth year. In the meantime, the diversification of FOW solutions has progressed and usage has diversified. We thus focus on "space" where competition is extremely fierce. While an increase in COVID-19 vaccinations will urge the move to back to office, IDC predicts that options for working outside the office will take hold. Under such circumstances, the utilization of space solutions will become even more important. This service analyzes the latest status of the evolving "space," considers changing needs, and supports the formulation of IT suppliers' product portfolios and go-to-market strategies.
Markets and Subjects Analyzed
- Drill down of IDC's FOW framework
- Relationship between FOW and the future enterprise
- Trends in technologies that belong to the FOW space
- Latest trends in hybrid work
- Technologies shaping FOW
- Vendors offering technologies in the FOW space
- Comparison between domestic and overseas trends and implications on the future directions that domestic companies should take into consideration
- IDC FutureScape: Worldwide FOW 2022 Predictions — Japan Implications
- IDC Survey: Buyer Strategies and Plans — Global Versus Domestic
- FOW Space Player Mapping
- Japan FOW Space Market Forecast
- FOW Space Technologies Implementation and Use Cases
In addition to the insight provided in this service, IDC may conduct research on specific topics or emerging market segments via research offerings that require additional IDC funding and client investment.
Key Questions Answered
- What is the latest status of hybrid work, and what are the challenges that domestic companies are facing?
- In which direction are overseas companies proceeding with hybrid work?
- What are the specific technologies and innovations driving the FOW space?
- What are the business opportunities and threats for IT suppliers in the FOW space?