IDC's Blockchain Strategies advisory service focuses on the impact of blockchain, distributed ledger technology (DLT), and smart contract products and applications. This Continuous Intelligence Service (CIS) evaluates use cases, opportunities, and challenges and provides recommended actions for developing and deploying distributed ledgers and smart contracts. This research will assist enterprise customers to evaluate, develop, and select blockchain, DLT, and smart contract products, services, and applications. Our research will also help technology and service providers develop new solutions, sales messaging, and sales strategies to grow revenue and increase market share.
Markets and Subjects Analyzed
Throughout the year, this service will address the following topics:
- Smart contracts
- Blockchain consortiums, including Ethereum, Hyperledger, and R3
- Tokenization and smart contracts
- Deploying blockchain for supply chains and track and trace
- Using distributed ledgers to improve the transfer of value and information
- DLT in trade finance and supply chain financing
- Blockchain as a service (BaaS)
- How regulators and agencies are shaping DLT and smart contract innovation
- Blockchain registries: Tracking ownership and identities
- Innovators: Blockchain and supply chain track and trace solutions
- Innovators: Blockchain and provenance of physical and digital goods
- IDC Perspective: R3 in Financial Services — An Introduction
- IDC Perspective: The "Four Forces" Driving Distributed Ledger Technology Innovation (Update)
- IDC TechBrief: Blockchain, DLT and Smart Contracts — Why Now?
- IDC TechScape: DLT in Supply Chains — Track and Trace
- IDC TechScape: Value Transfer — Using Distributed Ledgers to Improve the Transfer of Value Across Borders
- IDC TechScape: DLT in Supply Chain — Provenance of Tracking Physical and Digital Goods
- IDC PlanScape: Smart Contracts — Opportunities and Challenges
- IDC PlanScape: DLT in Trade Finance
- IDC PlanScape: Blockchain as a Service (BaaS)
- IDC Innovators: Supply Chain Track and Trace
- IDC Innovators: Provenance of Physical and Digital Goods
In addition to the insight provided in this service, IDC may conduct research on specific topics or emerging market segments via research offerings that require additional IDC funding and client investment.
Key Questions Answered
- What are the latest blockchain and DLT solution industry use cases and emerging use cases?
- How can organizations best collaborate with consortiums (e.g., Ethereum, Hyperledger, and R3) around blockchain? How to collaborate with other companies?
- How can blockchain be used to improve supply chains, asset tracking, and trade financing?
- How can organizations use smart contracts to grow revenue, lower costs, and improve liquidity?
- Which innovative companies are developing new solutions around blockchain and DLT?
Accenture plc, Amazon Web Services, Inc., CA Technologies, Inc., Cisco Systems, Inc., Digital Asset Holdings LLC, Ethereum Foundation, GuardTime Pte Ltd, Hashed Health, IBM, Intel Corporation, Microsoft Corporation, R3 Limited, Red Hat, Inc., SAP SE, The Linux Foundation, VMware, Inc.