This research program encompasses service provider compute and storage infrastructure, including service providers' supply chain strategies, deployment methods, and technology choices. Supplementing IDC's broad and deep quantitative portfolio surrounding this buyer segment, this service will examine the supplier competitive landscape, forecast future demand and profile different types of service providers (e.g., hyperscalers, cloud service providers, digital service providers, communication service providers, and managed hosting providers).
Markets and Subjects Analyzed
- Worldwide compute and storage cloud infrastructure market share, forecasts, and installed base
- Cloud, hyperscale, and service provider infrastructures
- Service provider typology
- Service provider infrastructure tiers
- Open source and open infrastructure communities
- Evolving supply chain for service providers
- Cloud to edge deployments
- Software defined infrastructure
- Infrastructure security for the cloud
- Software-based infrastructure resilience for cloud applications
- Public cloud infrastructure stacks
- Infrastructure as a service for service providers
- Vendor performance, strategies, and portfolios
- Buyer case studies and profiles of service providers
- The role of operating systems in cloud computing
- The impact of virtualization, containers, and cluster/grid computing on service provider infrastructure deployments
- Accelerated computing in the cloud
- Service Provider Infrastructure Taxonomy
- Own Versus Rent: Service Provider Strategies
- Service Provider Infrastructure Market Share, 2019
- Service Provider Infrastructure Forecast, 2020–2024
In addition to the insight provided in this service, IDC may conduct research on specific topics or emerging market segments via research offerings that require additional IDC funding and client investment.
Key Questions Answered
- How will public clouds, service providers, and hyperscalers shape the infrastructure market in the future?
- How will emerging compute and storage technologies impact the market, and how will they be adopted in cloud, telecom, and managed services offerings?
- How will artificial intelligence and accelerated computing change cloud computing?
- How will service providers address high-end and mission-critical workloads with their infrastructure strategies?
- What are the next set of trends in infrastructure abstraction for the cloud: virtualization, containerization, cluster computing, composable infrastructure?