IDC's Sustainable Strategies and Technologies program provides a holistic, global view on how sustainability topics impact and shape business strategies and technology usage. The service puts sustainability in the context of digital transformation and provides insights into opportunities and risks that emerge from a rapidly growing stakeholder demand for sustainable, digitally advanced products and services. The research program provides a framework for IDC's global sustainability coverage by bringing together IDC research disciplines and analysts across technologies and services, industries, and geographies. It helps vendors develop the best portfolios and go-to-market strategies and tactics to address evolving client demand and also helps buyers identify partners and best practices to execute on their sustainability agenda. The service delivers insights into market opportunities, adoption strategies, and use cases for sustainability-related technologies and services such as cloud software, artificial intelligence, blockchain, and datacenters, as well as guidance on how companies can implement sustainability into their own operations.
Sustainable Strategies and Technologies
Markets and Subjects Analyzed
- Select Topic Areas:
- Key technologies/services: Business strategy and technology implementation, (cloud) software, blockchain and crypto/NFTs, AI/analytics, and datacenters and IT infrastructure
- Key topic areas: Climate change, decarbonization, and net zero; water; diversity, equity, and inclusion; sustainable supply chain management, circular economy, and asset disposition; and governance and ethics
- Key elements of corporate sustainability: Purpose, mission, and vision; ESG, materiality, and governance; and philanthropy/CSR ("technology for good")
- Key approaches toward implementation of sustainable business practices: Operationalization, measurability, business value creation and demonstration, and product strategy and marketing
- Key industries: Automotive, communication services, and retail
- Worldwide IDC Survey: End-User Survey on Buyers' Maturity Levels, Sustainability Drivers, and Spending Intentions
- Global Market Forecasts of Sustainability Spending
- IDC DecisionScapes: IDC MarketScape, IDC FutureScape, and
- IDC MaturityScape
- IDC Market Glance
- Profiles of Sustainability-Focused Product Strategies
- Profiles of Sustainable Operations and Business Model Strategies
- IDC Survey Spotlights and Market Presentations on Key Topics and Trends
- Sustainability Blogs, Webcasts, and Podcasts
In addition to the insight provided in this service, IDC may conduct research on specific topics or emerging market segments via research offerings that require additional IDC funding and client investment.
Key Questions Answered
- How does IDC define sustainability, and how can companies capitalize on it? How does sustainability affect technology vendors' operations and products/services?
- What is the market opportunity for sustainable technologies (market size, market outlook, spending intentions)?
- Who are the key personas driving sustainable business strategies?
- How can ESG standards and frameworks help companies identify material ESG issues and relevant stakeholders?
- How can technologies be used to solve sustainability issues, and what are the sustainability-related risks of technology use?
- How can the sustainability-related business value of different technologies be quantified and communicated?
- What does the competitive landscape for technologies and services in the sustainability space look like?
- What are attributes and capabilities needed to enable sustainability initiatives? How to achieve competitive differentiation?
ABB Ltd., AT&T Inc., Accenture plc, Adobe Systems Inc., Advanced Micro Devices, Inc., Akamai Technologies, Inc., Alibaba Group Holding Limited, Amazon Web Services Inc., Amazon.com Inc., Apple Inc., Autodesk, Inc., Avanade Inc., BT Group plc, Bain & Company, Inc., Boston Consulting Group Inc., Canon Inc., Capgemini Services SAS, Cisco Systems Inc., Cognizant Technology Solutions Corporation, Comcast Corporation, Dell Technologies Inc., Deloitte LLP, ENGIE Group, Equinix Inc., Ericsson, Ernst & Young Global Limited, Facebook Inc., Fujitsu Limited, Google LLC, HCL Technologies Limited, HP Inc., Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Hitachi, Ltd., Honeywell International Inc., Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd., Hyperledger, IBM, Infosys Limited, Ingram Micro Inc., Intel Corporation, KPMG International, LG Corp., Lenovo Group Limited, LinkedIn Corporation, MasterCard Incorporated, McKinsey & Company, Microsoft Corporation, NEC Corporation, NTT, NetApp, Inc., Netflix International B.V., OpenText Corporation, Oracle Corporation, Orange S.A., Panasonic Corporation, PayPal, Inc., PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP, Qualtrics, LLC, Red Hat, Inc., RingCentral, Inc., SAS Institute Inc., Salesforce.com, Inc., Samsung, Schneider Electric SE, ServiceNow, Inc., Siemens AG, Snap Inc., Sony Corporation, Splunk Inc., Tableau Software, Inc., Tata Consultancy Services Limited, Tech Data Corporation, The Walt Disney Company, Uber Technologies, Inc., VMware, Inc., Verizon Communications, Inc., Wipro Limited, Workday, Inc., Xerox Corporation