IDC's Consumer Technology Strategy Service: Gold provides B2C marketers and product managers with high-quality insights to guide the success and growth of their consumer-facing marketing and product strategies. The service provides analysis of how and why U.S. consumers buy and use technology, the brands they trust, and related trends.
The service leverages frequent surveys to measure consumer technology spending and share of wallet. The program also unpacks the attitudes and dynamics behind consumer behavior, explaining brand and product performance. It identifies the benefits consumers see in new features and technologies, guiding more relevant marketing and messaging. It helps companies identify, profile, and understand current users and future targets for devices, services, and subscriptions.
Markets and Subjects Analyzed
- Device and service penetration, profiles, and future consideration
- Consumer technology expenditures (across all categories of devices and services), detailed share of wallet, subscription “fatigue”
- Recent buyer behavior among last 90-day purchasers in key device categories with analysis of brand purchase, rejection, and avoidance
- Current technology usage, future consideration, purchase horizon, and intent; feature and benefit desirability; attitudes and triggers
- Adoption/growth drivers and inhibitors
- Satisfaction, Net Promoter Score (NPS), unmet needs, pain points, and sources of friction in the user experience
- Preferred technology brands by category and overall; brand trust, relevance, momentum, and stretch (“extendability”)
- Multidevice usage, reasons for usage of each device, and preferences by use case
- Consumer trends and reactions to market activities
- The future of the evolving consumer technology marketplace
Core Research (U.S. Only)
- Quarterly 60-Minute Webinar with Key Findings and Guidance (One to Many)
- The Consumer Technology Landscape: 2020
- Consumer Device and Service Penetration & Profiles
- Consumer Device Refresh Rates
- Consumer Technology Spending (Share of Wallet, IDC Purchase Index, IDC Subscription Index)
- Consumer Technology Brand Sentiment (IDC Brand Trust Index)
- Recent Smartphone Buyer Behavior (aligned with Tracker)
- Recent PC/Tablet Buyer Behavior (aligned with Tracker)
- Recent Smart TV and Streaming Device Buyer Behavior
- Consumer Usage, NPS, Preferences, and Future Intent (reports for: Smartphones, PCs, Tablets, Smart TVs/Streaming Devices, Smart Homes, Video Games, Video Content, Mobile Service, Wearables)
- Tech Company Trust and Government Regulation
- Connected Car Sentiment
- Up to 50 hours of annual inquiry
In addition to the insight provided in this service, IDC may conduct research on specific topics or emerging market segments via research offerings that require additional IDC funding and client investment.
Key Questions Answered
- How much do consumers spend each year on technology? How is this money allocated? How is spend shifting? Why?
- What is the penetration of each device or service? What is the profile of current users? Who will buy next?
- Which features and benefits can be best used to communicate with consumers to ensure more relevant messaging and advertising?
- Why did my brand or product perform the way it did in this last quarter (as reflected in market share and IDC trackers)?
- What are the pain points for consumers, and how can they best be resolved?
- Which consumer technology brands do consumers trust most? Why? Which have the most license to extend into new areas?
ASUSTeK Computer Inc.,
AVAST Software s.r.o.,
BLU Products INC.,
Best Buy Co., Inc.,
Boost Worldwide, Inc.,
CBS Interactive Inc,
Charter Communications, Inc.,
Cox Communications, Inc.,
DISH Network L.L.C.,
Electronic Arts Inc.,
Ematic Solutions Pte Ltd,
Fossil Group, Inc.,
General Electric Company,
Home Box Office, Inc.,
Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.,
Lenovo Group Limited,
Motorola Solutions, Inc.,
NBC Universal, Inc.,
Netflix International B.V.,
Oculus VR, LLC,
Origin Digital Inc,
Pandora Media, Inc.,
SANYO Electric Co., Ltd.,
Sling Media LLC,
Spotify Technology S.A.,
T-Mobile International AG,
Tesla Motors Inc.,
The Walt Disney Company,
Time Warner Inc.,
Uber Technologies, Inc.,
Verizon Communications, Inc.,
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.,
XM Global Limited,