IDC's North America Monthly Distribution Tracker®, powered by the GTDC, is a product that reports model-level sales data from the largest distributors in North America, covering all types of IT products, peripherals, and accessories categorized into IDC's tracker taxonomy. This is the IT industry's only view of actual sales through the 2-tier distribution channel in North America and provides timely actionable data around product and pricing trends.
The North America Monthly Distribution Tracker®, powered by the GTDC, aggregates sales data from GTDC members on a monthly basis across close to 200 product detail categories organized into larger product groupings, including PC, server, storage, imaging, networking infrastructure, consumer electronics, peripherals and accessories, components and subsystems, power, security, audio/video, services, software, and cables.
- Company/brand (over 1,000 brands covered)
- Product group (14 technology categories)
- Product category (over 40 technology subcategories)
- Product (over 80)
- Product detail (over 175 hardware product segmentations + software and services)
- Measurements (units, value, ASP)
- Channel (dealer, VAR, systems integrator, etailer, retail, distributor)
- MPN (manufacturer part number) (over 1 million covered)
- Model attribute segmentation customized to each product group (over 250 different attributes in total)
- United States
This tracker is delivered on a monthly basis via a web-based interface. Data is published on the third Thursday after the month ends. Specific deliverables for this tracker are listed below.
- Historical data
IDC North America Distribution Tracker Methodology
This tracker reports actual sales data with no changes or estimations made by IDC analysts. Sales data at the Manufacturer Part Number level is collected weekly from the largest distributors in North America. The data is consolidated, cleaned, and categorized into 14 different product groups each with their own additional detailed segmentation. This process is managed using a proprietary advanced data consolidation and analysis platform and by leveraging other data sources and data enrichment approaches such as:
- IDC taxonomy definitions
- 3rd party product catalogs of model attributes
- IDC Tracker model lists
- Machine learning algorithms
- Feedback from technology analyst experts