Philip Odgers is consulting manager in IDC's U.K.-based Consulting Division and is responsible for the coordination of resources and manpower, analysis of research findings, and client liaison for projects, from initial meeting and definition of objectives to conclusion. Odgers has more than nine years' experience in his field and is very knowledgeable in all the stages of market research, from questionnaire design and interview techniques to data capture and analysis. He is an experienced focus group moderator.
Since joining IDC in 1997, he has been responsible for the running of many quantitative and qualitative projects of all sizes and methodologies. Recent projects include:
· A large Europe-based research study for a major global software producer examining the main drivers among decision makers in large companies towards collaborative technology.
· A large Europe-based research study for a major peripherals manufacturer. The project focused on the perceptions of multifunction peripherals among end users and purchasers across all industry sectors and sizes.
· A pan-European research study into the use of printer consumables by SOHO, SMEs, and large businesses. The research involved an extensive telephone research program combined with several focus group sessions across Europe.
· A major research study into the listening requirements of Africans and Asians in Europe for potential digital radio broadcasting. Data was collected via "mall intercepts" among consumers from the Asian and African communities in London, Paris, and Berlin. Multilingual researchers used product mock-ups to test the concept of this media.
· A research study into the widescreen LCD monitor market in Germany among consumers and business users. The research included an assessment of market drivers and inhibitors, recommendations on market positioning, and a top-level assessment of the likely scale of the opportunity for the client in this arena. Focus groups were conducted with the consumers and business users plus in-depth consultant-level interviews with representatives of leading retailers and PC vendors.