This IDC Presentation provides a summary of the PC-related results of IDC's U.S. Commercial Device Survey fielded from December 2015 to January 2016.
Respondents were asked questions regarding their broad IT priorities and concerns, PC purchasing practices, refresh expectations, and installed bases. In addition, a section was dedicated to PC as a service (PCaaS). Highlights include:
- Software applications was the most widely selected response when asked where most of the respondent's IT budget went to in 2015, followed by security and device management. Device deployments placed a distant fourth.
- 60.8% of respondents listed security as a top 3 concern, followed by transitioning to Windows 10 (49.6%) and extending hardware life cycles (37.8%).
- Respondents estimated that nearly three out of four PCs were three years or older.
- 43.9% of respondents currently support Windows 10 on IT-purchased notebooks on some level. 75.2% of these respondents stated that they plan on rolling out Windows 10 more broadly this year.
- 26.3% of respondents currently support Chrome OS on IT-purchased notebooks on some level. 69.7% of these respondents stated that they plan on rolling out Chromebooks more broadly this year.
- 40.2% of respondents say that they engaged in the past 12 months or are considering engaging in the next 12 months in PCaaS.
Lenovo Group Limited,
ASUSTeK Computer Inc.,
Networked consumer devices,
Operating systems and subsystems