TECH SUPPLIER Sep 2020 - Market Presentation - Doc # US46852220
Semiconductor Market Perspective and Outlook: COVID-19 Impact on Investment, Innovation, and Growth
This IDC Market Presentation provides an overall update on the semiconductor industry.
Despite the market impact of COVID-19 this year and uncertainty surrounding the stalemate in negotiations between the United States and China on trade, the semiconductor industry continues to be a critical area of investment, innovation, and growth.
Semiconductor content is growing across all major system markets. As we look forward, there are some exciting technologies that begin to ramp up over the coming years, including 5G, Wi-Fi 6, AI inferencing, NAND, advanced process technologies and packaging, and optimized computing at the edge that will drive a sustainable recovery for the industry. What will be the revenue inflection point of each market? Who are the key technology suppliers that stand to gain from the revenue growth over the coming years?
Mario Morales shares his perspective on these key questions and provides guidance to investors and technology suppliers to capitalize on the opportunities in store for the semiconductor industry over the next five years.
Key takeaways from the presentation:
- The semiconductor industry was resilient in 1H20, but the last quarter of the year will be more volatile as uncertainty about COVID-19 and battered economic sentiment take a toll on demand and trade.
- The PC market was solid in 2Q20 and will remain steady in 3Q20, but suppliers' guiding expectations will lower by the end of year.
- Cloud infrastructure semiconductor spend will peak in 3Q20.
- China is driving 5G mobile volumes, but eroding ASPs leave little room for margin without having LTE to support the bottom.
- TSMC maintains process node leadership with more than Moore.
- Huawei gets a potential lifeline from U.S. suppliers that continue to lobby for the company.
- Overall, the semiconductor market is down this year but memory and data-centric silicon supports a better scenario this year.